Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Low pressure 200ft away from outdoor faucet

Old 03-06-17, 05:48 PM

Our house water runs from a pressure tank operating between 30 and 50 psi.

I connect multiple hoses to 2 vegetable gardens. The pressure is just about ok to water 1 garden at a time but 2 sprinklers on at once isn't enough. I've tried with a timer but it's still not very good doing one at a time.

How can I boost the pressure as I would also like to add some other zones to water.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-17, 06:04 PM
Common to get a lot of pressure drop with long hoses, especially if they are not the large diameter type. Going to 3/4 id hoses may help some.

Probably next easiest thing to try would be to change your pressure switch to run at 60/40 instead of 50/30. Many common pressure switches can be adjusted to do this; instructions are usually inside the cover of the pressure switch (turn power off before removing cover). If yours isn't adjustable, it's fairly easy to replace with a 60/40 switch.

Next step would be a sprinkler booster pump. You can either connect it between the hose bib and your hose when needed, or do a more permanent install.

Note, at some point you may run up against the limit of flow your well pump can provide, especially if you try to run multiple zones at once. Only cure for that is a more powerful well pump.

I hope your well produces enough water to support the irrigation you want to do.

Old 03-06-17, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Assuming you are on a well. Increase the cut out pressure on the switch to 60 psi. That would boost your tank pressure, but you have to remember you are dealing with volume as well and the longer the hose the more work the tank as to do in moving that volume. Wells aren't the best way of watering gardens at a distance without an inline pump or elevated tank for gravity feed.

Paul types faster than me.

Old 03-06-17, 08:29 PM
How does the booster pump work? Can I leave the outdoor faucet on and have the booster pump on a timer somehow?
Will increasing to 60/40 make much of a difference?
Will polypipe be better than hose?

Also, with the booster pump, do I need a reservoir near the garden to hold water? Say a barrel or something...

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 03-06-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
First, try hooking up your two sprinklers right at the house. If they can't run there then you need to do something with your supply like the pressure switch settings and possibly your pump. If you can run the sprinklers at the house then you need to overcome the flow resistance in your long hose run.

One option is to use a booster pump. You will have to be careful how you use it to make sure you don't get pressures too great in your garden hose which could cause them to burst.

Long ago I made up a semi permanent hose extension. I used 1" black poly and put fittings on the end to connect to my spigot. Then at the very end I hooked up my garden hose for watering. The larger diameter pipe dramatically cuts the flow resistance over a long run.

Old 03-07-17, 05:35 AM
So I could run poly all the way to the garden then connect a mini hose at the garden end?
The sprinklers work fine near the faucet.

One other option. I could store a 55gal container near the garden and fill it from the faucet with a toilet ball valve. It has about 10ft of drop to the garden. Then connect a booster pump?
If it's just soaking the ground instead of a sprinkler then maybe it would work for multiple zones with a controller?

Old 03-07-17, 07:45 AM
Yes, you could run larger diameter poly pipe and then run hose from that. If you permanently connect poly pipe there would need to be a dual check check valve installed. If you just connect it to hose bib, no issue.

55gals will last about 15 minutes or less running a typical sprinkler. 10 foot head will give you about 5 PSI, not enough to run most sprinklers, so you would need a booster pump. At that point you might as well just use a booster by the house.

Changing from 50/30 to 60/40 can make quite a difference as you are increasing the minimum pressure by 33%.

One more option...go to drip irrigation. requires very low pressure (would work from a barrel with 10 foot head). Just fill up the barrel a couple of times a week, and let it slowly drain out through the drip system.

Old 03-07-17, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Here is a online calculator that allows you to estimate the loss through a pipe/hose.

As an example with with 40psi and a 5/8" hose 25ft long you could get up to 44 gallons per minute through the hose if your pump could supply it. When you lengthen that hose to 200' the volume drops to 5.5 gallons a minute. Most well pumps can't deliver anywhere near 44 gal/min so obviously you volume will be something less but you can see how a long run of pipe can significantly hurt the flow.

Old 03-07-17, 10:30 AM
Is that calculator just for garden hose because it expands or is it any hose... including poly?