Cutting Rosemary bushes down to roots

Old 05-20-17, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Rosemary bushes down to roots

Hi All!

We have two huge rosemary bushes in close vicinity to the front door. They grew out of control, even though they were pruned regularly. I don't have a green thumb at all, but for some reason when i planted these two ten years ago, they just took off like crazy.
We are getting ready to lay down landscape rock, and they need to go, but both husband and i feel nostalgic. We tried to cut them down to some manageable size and shape them, but encountered two problems:

~Multiple wasp nests in both bushes
~Naked ugly branches right beneath the green ones, which left the bushes very unsightly when trimmed down. This is not something i can live with.

So i was wondering if rosemary bush is cut down to the root, would a new plant eventually emerge, like it happened with our honeysuckle?Or should we just pull the entire plant and the roots, and plant anew?

Much thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-17, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
You likely over pruned removing the younger growth with the leaves and leaving the older wood underneath. Given time it should fill back in and be green again. You will have to make sure it's watered if you want it to survive as a severe pruning puts the plant under stress. If you want to keep it rosemary is easy to maintain to a certain size but if you prune them at least once a year.

It is possible the plants will regrow. If you want them gone they should have been killed before cutting them back. Now the most reliable option is to dig up the roots.

Old 05-20-17, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think we'd rather give them a chance to regrow from the root first.We only pruned them in early spring before they'd start shooting new branches, and after pruning they would go insane. Sometimes i think we didn't prune them enough! I wish they stayed on the smaller size, but right now they are 6 feet long and 4 feet tall. If we attempt to reduce them in size, all we are left with are ugly brown branches with a bit green shrubbery on top (assuming we don't cut the top at all).

Old 05-20-17, 08:26 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cut them to two inches from the ground. Nothing to lose...and the wasps go away. A bit of lawn fertilizer and lots of water will tell the tale.