Hit a line digging! Can anyone ID?

Old 06-08-17, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hit a line digging! Can anyone ID?

Hey guys,

I was putting in some shrubs next to my driveway, and wouldn't you know it, I hit a cable and severed it. I had originally voiced a concern because the area we were digging was between a brick wall and my driveway, and conveniently located on one end of the dirt strip is my electrical meter. I had mentioned to my father in law that it made sense to me that lines would be buried here, but I was told that, if there were, there is no way they'd been in the 12 inches I'd need to dig.

So, voila, in the second hole away from the meter's location, I cut through this cable. It was about 4-6 inches down. Attached is the picture. All my power and cable are working fine, so I have no idea what I cut. It may have even been scrap wire from the construction. Any experts on here that may be able to tell me what the heck I damaged (if anything?). Thanks!Name:  Wire.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  52.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Your picture is not close enough to the cable for me to tell what it is.

I can tell you that if it was electric lines you would know. Either you would have lost power, or saw some sparks!

Take a closer look and see if you can see a bunch of wires in the cable. if so it might be the control cable of an irrigation system of telephone. Cable TV cable if there is only one copper wire. If there is only two wires it could be an invisible fence for dogs.
Likely it is an irragation control,

Old 06-08-17, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
It's cut now. Cut a piece off and examine it. Handle carefully in case it's hot.

Old 06-08-17, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Another possibility would be landscape lighting, especially if it's 2 conductor zip type cord.