Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Planting new tree where an old one was, and some mushrooms are?

Planting new tree where an old one was, and some mushrooms are?

Old 06-21-17, 12:56 PM
Question Planting new tree where an old one was, and some mushrooms are?

Last year I removed a dying maple from the front yard, and had the stump ground (grinded?). This year I'm seeing mushrooms pop up around where the tree was, along with some dead grass. It's my understanding that that's because the mushrooms are thriving on all the leftover organic root matter underground and the best plan of action is to just let them run their course.

Now I've got a new tree (kwanzan cherry) I'd like to plant in roughly the same spot. Is there any concern in digging up one of the areas where the mushrooms/dead grass are and planting the tree there? Will the underground fungus harm it in any way, or will they start feeding on the baby tree instead?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-17, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Mushrooms are not a threat to a live tree... they can coexist. If you want good root growth for the new tree I would just avoid the root area of the old tree... they may have ground the stump but that only goes so deep. I would not want my root ball directly over the old tree. Close but not directly over it.

Old 06-21-17, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Brant is correct, it is not generally a good idea to plant a new tree where an old one recently was. Best to be at least a few feet away.