I'm a hanging-flower-basket killer

Old 07-14-17, 04:48 PM

Two large baskets of Calibrachoa ("mini petunias") hanging on a porch facing due-east. The flowers facing out are practically gone. The ones facing the house (shade) are half decent.

I water every day. Fertilize every two weeks. But they still look like crap.

The tag in the plants says "Water: heavy. 6 or more hours of sun each day." Handled.

So what am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-17, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like you kill baskets not flowers.

Shouldn't they be facing south like a satellite dish?

Old 07-14-17, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
I've found that what they mean by "X hours of sun" is not full, direct sun...but a bright sunny spot. I have some flowers in a giant pot with gallons of soil that gets about 6 hrs of our direct sun per day and if they go more than 12 hrs or so w/o watering, they'll drop blooms and look limp. I have some identical plants in a smaller metal bucket that gets some early direct sun, then it's just bright dappled light. The ones in the bucket do just fine watered once a day and this is in 105 heat.

Old 07-15-17, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the root to soil ratio? Hanging plants often take more water than regular potted plants, hanging in the sun increases the water need. Have you checked the soil to see how dry or wet it is?

Old 07-15-17, 03:44 AM
ShortyLong, Great - now I'm a flower killer AND an English language butcherer...

I don't know if your theory of plants facing south has merit. I'll build another porch on the south end of the house and let you know. ;

Marksr, I don't know. They looked fine when I bought them at the nursery 2 months ago. I water daily until the water runs out the bottom. (Maybe water twice a day?)

Old 07-15-17, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
If the leaves are light green or yellowish it could need more nitrogen. In a basket with little soil you may need to fertilize more often.

If they look wilty then you may have to water more often like twice a day. Many hanging baskets don't hold much soil which also means they can't hold much water/moisture and because they can grow quickly they can use a lot of water.

Old 07-15-17, 06:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll build another porch on the south end of the house and let you know. ;
That shows you how little I know about flowers. Some require porches & some don't.

Old 07-17-17, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
I would start watering twice a day as the next step. As mentioned, hanging baskets require a lot more water than one might intuit.

Old 08-05-17, 11:46 AM
What kind of soil is in the pots? We have 8-9 hanging pots of mostly petunias that I water daily. Most of the pots are filled with straight potting soil and some with a mix of potting soil and mostly dirt.

We've found that the pots with straight potting soil dry out easily and a dry crust forms on the top. The water never gets down to the roots. A couple of years ago I started poking holes in the crust whenever I feed the plants. It has made a big difference.

Some of our pots are woven baskets. They dry out quicker than plastic. We also have some coconut husk baskets and they also dry out between watering. Now we line them with plastic and just poke a few holes for drainage.