Fix tool on handle

Old 09-14-17, 08:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix tool on handle

I bought this tool, but there's no hole for a screw in it and it would be extremely hard to drill one.
Could anyone let me know what would be the best way to fix it to the handle?

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-17, 08:25 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think that you have the wrong handle. It should only be tapered in one direction more like a hammer with a wood handle.

Old 09-14-17, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 585 Votes on 537 Posts
First you will want to rasp and/or sand the handle down so it more closely fits the shape of the tool. It should be ever so slightly bigger and barely tapered. (Your current handle has too much taper).

You would want to cut the handle off about 1/4". beyond the point where it tightens up on your handle. You would hand cut a slot in the handle that is no deeper than the "collar" on your tool, perhaps 1/8" wide. Cut the slot width to fit your hardwood wedge. Then drive the tool onto the handle and insert the hardwood wedge... which will be slightly tapered and wider than the slot as it tapers up... along with waterproof wood glue (titebond III). As you tap it down the slot in the handle will become wedged tight. Once its in you can cut or grind the handle off as much as you like. Then drive a steel axe handle wedge down into the top of the handle across your hardwood wedge.

Some like to add a little epoxy (like PC-7) to the perimeter of the tool to fill any voids in the collar before driving it down onto the handle.

Old 09-15-17, 03:09 AM
D
Superb answer!
Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Old 09-15-17, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 536 Votes on 493 Posts
It appears they used a piece of straight wall tubing for the collar. Without a taper that will be difficult to keep on the handle. I would cross drill a hole and insert a pin or small bolt to prevent it from sliding off the handle.

Old 09-15-17, 07:47 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I'm thinking the same as Dane, that the sleeve appears straight, not tapered, and would do the same as he suggested. Myself, I would drill the tool for a snug fit with a pin, but a screw and nut should work fine as well. If I was designing it with a taper though, I believe that I would do it with the large end away from me and rasp the handle to pit as X said, similar to a pick. With a pick or something like this, assuming I know that I will be using it in a day or two, and remember, I will run some water in a drum or wheel barrow and set the tool in that so that the wood will swell enough for a snug fit when I am ready to use it.