Soft Touch Holly is dying

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-28-17, 11:42 AM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soft Touch Holly is dying

I have three soft touch holly shrubs that are slowly dying. One is about 75% dead. I'm thinking of cutting it back to the ground and seeing what happens in the spring. Is this a good idea? The other two are about 25% dead. They were planted in 2008 and did fine until last summer. I've been pruning the dead off since then and there has been a little new growth at the base. Looking for suggestions.
 
  #2  
Old 10-28-17, 04:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,426
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Your profile is not complete. Where are you located?

Can you post some pictures showing what's going on?
 
  #3  
Old 10-30-17, 09:43 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first photo is of the plant I am considering cutting back to the ground. It's hard to see in the photo, but there is actually some new growth at the base. The others are doing "OK" even though they are a little sparse from pruning off the dead parts at various points in time. This summer in Maryland has not been particularly hot. The spring and early summer were very rainy, but note that the shrubs started declining last summer (2016).
 
Attached Images    
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: