Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Does weed blocking sheet need to TOUCH the dirt?

Does weed blocking sheet need to TOUCH the dirt?

Old 05-08-01, 09:35 AM
Niranjan
Visiting Guest
I have some planter boxes out back that my wife & I would eventually like to use for growing herbs. For the time being, I'd just like to cover with plastic weed blocking sheets to prevent weeds from growing like mad!

The easiest way to cover the boxes is stretch the sheets over the outside and nail them to the sides of the boxes. Problem is that if I did that, there would be some space between the sheets and the top of the dirt.

1) Will this still prevent weeds from growing or will water seeping in still allow the weeds to grow without sunlight?

2) Will this create a haven for rodents, etc., to live in that cozy layer between the sheets and the dirt?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-01, 11:13 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Niranjan,

I think your best bet would be to lay the weed cloth directly on the grass/weeds and weight it down. Make sure the grass is as short as you can get it. The ideal solution would be to remove all the weeds...or lay the cloth down and put dirt in it to weight it down. If it will be awhile before you plant you will probably have weeds growing in your new soil, but when you first see it appear, hoe gently just the top 1", otherwise you will be bringing more weed seeds to the surface. If you hoe that top 1" everytime you see weeds, you shouldn't have any problem with weeds later on--or at least very few. A good tool to use for that is the "Winged Weeder". I bought the large and small one at the Flower & Garden Show. I call them his/hers--but HE never uses his.

http://www.wingedweeder.com/

I tried something similar to what you're suggesting. I weighted the cloth down on the corners and the weeds still grew and pushed the cloth up.

Gami