Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1 year old tree uprooted?

CAL

12-09-17, 01:16 PM   #1  
1 year old tree uprooted?

I just had a new tree planted about 12 mo ago.

Last week we had bad rains followed by 2 days of strong winds.

The day after the strong winds one of the 2 wooden stakes holding the tree in place was off its mooring leaning against the tree. The other one was loose as well.

When I looked at the tree, i felt if I strongly pulled it up it would come out of the ground.

Is it a lost cause or is there something I can do to save it?

Sponsored Links

MI

12-09-17, 01:37 PM   #2  
What kind of tree? How large is it? How much of the root balls has been exposed? I'm not a treeologist or anything like that, but am sure that someone who actually knows what they are doing will have similar questions. We have several trees, including a rather prominent red maple right in the middle of the front yard that were subjected to heavy winds in their "teen" years, not large, but too big to do anything with, so they grew into adults at a slight angle, but are as healthy as can be. But we've had smaller ones, like a locust that I have been fawning over the past two years, that we dug out and reset because the wind exposed more of the roots than I thought would be allowed in order to allow good growth. You said "had planted"; perhaps the best thing would be to check with the nursery or landscape company that planted it. We planted, ourselves, several grey owl junipers a few years ago, did everything they said, and they did not look good at all the next year, so I asked the nursery where we got them about it, told them what we had done, they replaced them, and the new ones, following the same care, are doing great.

MI

12-10-17, 12:40 AM   #3  
Straighten it up, re-stake, fill voids with dirt, water good to get air out, should be ok.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-10-17, 12:44 AM   #4  
And use 3 stakes. That way the support ropes/wires don't have to be so tight.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

CAL

12-10-17, 04:00 PM   #5  
Thanks for your replies.

I went to the hardware store and the lady told me to take out the one stake and examine it. I took it out and it was chewed up. This take had to be like a foot and a quarter down in the ground. The lady at the store suspected possible gophers. If it's gophers then I'm pretty much screwed as she said they'll eat the plant roots. But i went ahead still just in case it's not gophers.

I bought 2 skinnier stakes about 5 feet. I replaced the 1 bad stake but the other stake on the other side seemed ok. It was still loose and I was able to pull it out of the ground but the end of it still had the stake arrow down shape. I put it in the ground with more dirt and padded it down. I wonder if it will stay or not. If not, then I'll use the other stake to replace it.

The new stakes look like in this video but my tree is bigger than this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSTVtqiUQA

The lady also told me to straighten out the tree. I did that. It didnt feel as fragile as when I posted. Felt a bit stronger. I had watered it yesterday.

For the 3rd stake, I'm thinking about doing that now. The tree I hope will make it. The stakes now look weird . One side I have the big thick long stake like 6 feet while on the other side i have the new small stake like maybe 4 feet. I bought the rubber hooks to wrap it around the tree and the stake. The tree is up a bit straighter now but I wonder if we get heavy winds what will happen. The lady at the store said to tie it down lower than what the landscaper had it so it can sway more.

Last edited by norcalneil; 12-10-17 at 04:02 PM. Reason: updated

Super Moderator

AZ

12-10-17, 06:33 PM   #6  
Good advice except I doubt it was gophers unless it really looked like teeth chewed it. Could be voles or moles, but without actual chewing marks and other evidense in the lawn, I'd just think rot or termites. That's why most poles should at least be cedar or PT.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MI

12-11-17, 04:01 AM   #7  
May be wrong as I don't know what you used, but I'd be more inclined to think rot than rodents that "chewed" your stakes. Some wood in some soil has a much shorter life than you might imagine. I don't think I have ever bought them specifically for this because I generally have some laying around, but you could pick up some treated balusters like the ones used on decks at your local lumber yard or big box.

CAL

12-13-17, 07:56 PM   #8  
We’ve had a record year for moles/voles/gophers this year.

But I think now it wasn’t them but like you said rot. But rot after a year? The other pole was still good with the triangle shape at the end of it. But the other one didn’t have the triangle.

Another thing I noticed in the base of the tree - looks like my gardeners weedwacker wracked the end of the tree. I see the marks. Can I buy something to heal that part where there are marks?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-14-17, 02:15 AM   #9  
I don't know if there are products to heal the trunk or not but generally nature will take care of it on it's own providing the damage isn't too severe. The main thing would be to protect it from further weedeater damage.
Some wood will rot sooner than others, the softer the wood the more apt it is to absorb moisture.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OR

12-17-17, 07:47 AM   #10  
Try a metal stake or two and a loose figure 8 rubber tie. If the gardener did hurt the cambium layer...tree could be on the way out. Wait until spring and see what's what.

Search this Thread