Perriwinkle Care (Vinca Minor)

Old 04-20-18, 11:49 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Perriwinkle Care (Vinca Minor)

I live in zone 9 in South Louisiana.

I have several Periwinkle plants in a small garden. There's been no sign of life this spring, all I have is some dead looking stalks. Should I cut them back to the ground? What can I do to encourage them to grow. I do plan on adding some new plants this year.

Thanks,
Carl

Old 04-20-18, 12:15 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Yes, cut them to the ground and add some liquid fertilizer like 10-5-5 or similar, in a small dose. Dig one up and look at the roots. Are they living ? They like dappled shade...do they get some ?

Old 04-20-18, 03:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It's hard to talk about time since you didn't say where you are located but it's been such a cold crazy winter in much of the country that I would wait a couple weeks later than usual before doing anything drastic. I'm in NC and only starting to trim dead material which is a good couple weeks later than usual.

I would not dig up a plant just to look at it's roots. You'll subject it to transplant shock and set it back several months. Just look at the plant above ground. If you want to trim off the dead start at the tips and snip off a bit. If it looks dead on the inside then move further down and take another snip. If you get to a point where there is some green inside the stems stop cutting even if the leaves appear dead.

Old 04-22-18, 10:48 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane: I did mention that I am in zone 9 in South Louisiana. Do you need more specification than that?

Ydda Yadda Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: