Garden Path/Walk

Old 04-30-01, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am planning to build a garden path out of landscape timbers and river rocks. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or hints? Also, if anyone has any websites or links that might be helpful, I would appreciate it if you would pass them along. Thanks

Old 05-07-01, 08:26 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
That sounds neat!!! First, make sure you get rid of all the grass. I suggest digging it out rather than spraying with an herbicide. You will want to add something to stop the weeds/grass from coming through. I would suggest landscaping fabric.

Gami

Old 05-14-01, 06:23 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Garden Path/Walk

I am glad to answer this one and I hope you find it helpful. I have foot paths around my perennial beds which are bordered by locust limbs from our property. (Quite a savings and so rustic!) We get woodchips from a local sawmill, and bring them home in our pick-up. They are what I would call "high maintenance, but we have a lot of foot traffic every day, including children. Some of the chips are kicked into the mulch of the flower beds, but overall, I am happy with it and we get LOTS of compliments on how it all looks! The chips need to be replenished as they decompose. So, that gives you an idea, at least! @>}---}-----

Old 05-15-01, 05:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's another suggestion on weed blocking: Instead of a lanscape fabric to block the weeds, try roofing felt. I have found that the fabric will occasionally let a few weeds through. They won't come up through 'tarpaper', and it is only about eight bucks for a very long roll. If you find you need to drain water through it, an ice pick or screwdriver will do the trick.

Old 05-15-01, 06:07 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Garden Path/Walk

Great idea for the foot paths! In the perennial beds, we have used several sheets of newspaper under thick mulch. It allows for new plantings without hassle. Some use carpet scraps and such, but I want to "naturalize" somewhat, at least, so don't want that in my beds. @>}---}-----

Old 05-16-01, 12:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Garden path

Go to http://www.todayshomeowner.com and Search for paths. There are some very good articles there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: