Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Sprayed roundup on an area... can i till it up and garden there?

Old 05-12-18, 10:23 AM

Edit: It's not roundup, but a similar product that is supposed to prevent growth for a year.

Have a small section of land where I sprayed this stuff on it. Tenants later asked if they could put a garden there. If I till the ground up thoroughly, will it still affect anything they plant?

https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/bar...107317904.html

Last edited by tiresharkdbb; 05-12-18 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-18, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
When did you apply? What rate did you apply?

If it were just Roundup/glyphosate you could just till and plant. But since it's a year long weed preventer containing imazapyr I would say no. You could try deep and thorough tilling to try and disperse and dilute it but it will still be there trying to kill plants so you may not get good growth.

Old 05-12-18, 01:13 PM
Okay thanks Dane. I just picked out another spot where they can put it, to be safe.

Old 05-14-18, 04:20 AM
I'm guessing you sprayed a liquid that you got from a local hardware store. Most of those kill weeds when you spray but dont actually keep weeds away like a professional lawn spraying company. A lot of the normal liquids doesn't do much to the soil but if sprayed on a leaf is absorbed and kills the weed. I think you should be ok. If you wanted to you can till it and then throw some compost or garden soil on it and till it again to mix it all together.

Old 05-14-18, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
If you had read the post they did say what was sprayed which contains imazapyr. A long lasting soil sterilizer/herbicide.