freezing vegetables

Old 05-15-01, 06:12 AM
DeAnna
Visiting Guest
I know you can freeze corn when left in the shucks. Can you freeze squash with out blanching/boiling?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-01, 12:41 PM
freezing vegetables

Most folks I know blanch, cool, and freeze their squash.

Old 05-17-01, 04:13 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi DeAnna,

I've done that with zucchini, but I'm not saying it's right.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3300.htm
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3063.htm
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0555.html

I add it to soups, spaghetti sauce, etc., at the last minute so it doesn't get real mushy.

Gami

Old 05-17-01, 05:27 PM
Freezing squash

Hello, Gami!

Do you blanch your squash before freezing? I use to cut my corn off the cob and freeze it without blanching and it was great. It has been a while since my Mama Earth days and having a piece of ground for gardening. I never planted more zucchini than I could use fresh or share with neighbors. Most folks I know are into blanching. I never liked the taste of frozen corn on the cob. I tried blanching and not blanching, and I still was not satisfied. What do you do? Thanks for all your informative posts. I really appreciate them. You must be one great DIY person.

Old 05-17-01, 05:46 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Twelvepole,

I didn't blanch it first, but the experts say you should. Some things I do for lack of time. I'm sure it wouldn't have as long of freezer life as if it were blanched.

I plant enough zucchini for the squash bugs and us. The bugs usually get them before I have any to give away. I KNOW people say their neighbors lock their doors when they see them coming with zucchini. I should be so lucky. I don't believe in chemicals tho--only as a last resort.

I usually follow the directions that are in the Kerr canning and freezing book and buy the new editions as they come out. You can usually get them by the canning/freezing supplies in the grocery store. I have always blanched my corn, either on or off the cob. It's much better than what you buy frozen in the store. I know some people that check for worms and freeze it in the husks without blanching and say it's great. I've never tried that.

My favorite book for canning and freezing is, "Farm Journal, Freezing and Canning Cookbook". My edition is 1963. I haven't checked to see if there is a revised edition, but I would think there would be with the modern methods. It has tried and true recipes from farm people. It should be at the library, and I was fortunate to find one at a garage sale to send to my DIL.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm learning from your answers also!

Gami

Old 05-18-01, 06:43 AM
With winter squash, such as Acorn, my better half simply halves them, bakes it a few minutes then pops it in the freezer. Great all winter with a little brown sugar in the center.