Raised planter against vinyl siding

Old 05-26-18, 06:12 AM
Raised planter against vinyl siding

My wife and I are going to be doing some landscaping and she wants to do a raised flower bed against our house. With how the finished grade is at our house, we only have about 2 inches between grade and the bottom of our siding. We would like to do about six inches up, which would cover the bottom row of our siding. I know its not ideal to have mulch against the sill plate, but is there a way to make it work? My thought was to pull the bottom couple pieces of siding, and run a rubber roofing membrane about 12 inches up to keep water from penetrating my Tyvek and rotting my foundation. Anyone have a better suggestion? (other than not doing it at all) Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-18, 12:12 PM
So the vinyl siding is not an issue since it will not rot but having organic material stacked up against that may cause water to be forced under the siding to the wall/floor structure.

I would build a bed structure out of pressure treated wood that sits in front of the siding to keep the area from being saturated with wood and water,

Old 05-26-18, 12:56 PM
Do you want a bed 5....10.....20 feet long ? How wide ? You can buy vinyl boxes or pre-made cedar boxes.......or you can build one.... as per Marq1.

Old 05-26-18, 05:10 PM
Just a really bad plan!
Modern codes would call for siding to be at least 6" above grade.
Building it as you suggested and you've just built a ladder to make it easier for termites and bugs to get in under the siding.
Why does it need to be a raised bed?