Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Tomato plant leaves starting to yellow already - any ideas?

Old 05-27-18, 04:17 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

For the last 10 years, my tomato plant leaves turn yellowish green, it's already happening... I know they are not completely 'happy'. Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

As the summer progresses, the plants still grow, they still produce tomatoes. The leaves do not degenerate into dead leaves, but the yellowing means that there is some persistant problem that I cannot fathom...

See below:

• I do not underwater or overwater.
  • Plants get full sun at least 6 hours a day.
  • Every year I till the soil and mix in some dry cow manure.
  • Yeah they are a little crowded together...
  • They are close to the lillies but sectioned off from them in the soil by a barrier.

Old 05-27-18, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Cant tell much from the photo, can't see a closeup of the yellow leaves.

First thing I would suspect is overfertilizing.

Old 05-27-18, 04:46 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I'll be watching this thread closely as well. I have tomatoes where the leaves are turning yellow.

This may help but as someone who planted a few plants for the first time in 40 years, I'm just throwing out idea's for suggestions.
We bought 4 varieties, three varieties look great. One variety is turning a bit yellow. Maybe just the variety?

Not my intent to hi-jack the OPs thread, Just throwing out that different varieties may be a little less tolerant.... (fertilizer/water/drought/soil/space). Hopefully though, someone can be of more help than me & give us some advice.

Old 05-27-18, 06:41 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Yellowing leaves may be a sign of Iron Deficiency; and a soil test would verify this.

Every summer, I start a rust bucket (usually 5 gallons) into which I deposit pieces of scrap iron and steel with a little vinegar (maybe a cup just to keep the pH acidic) and then I let those items rust and turn the water a rusty orange and use it by the cup to occasionally water each plant.

It's non-toxic and not very expensive.

Old 05-27-18, 07:19 AM
D
Hi everyone,

Dixie, each year I buy 2-3 varieties and they all get yellowish. In terms of fertilizer, before I plant I get 2-3 big handfuls of manure for this patch of three tomato plants and dig and thoroughly mix the manure into the entire patch, up to 6" deep. Hmmm XSleeper ... maybe that is too much manure? Here is a closeup. Most of the plants look like the leaves on the bottom of the photo. The one variety on the top of the photo, remains the same color as when I bought it for the most part, except you can see the yellowing already creeping in - in the center bottom of the leaves:

Old 05-27-18, 07:35 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The manure is too Hot !!! You're burning them. Any manure must first sit a season to breakdown. You don't need this at planting. Next fall, till in manure if you must but i've been converted over to no till gardening and it works great.

Old 05-27-18, 10:54 AM
D
thx Soybomb, I had no idea... Will keep that in mind from now on.

Old 05-27-18, 05:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You say manure but that's a rather general term. What kind of manure (cow, horse, pig, chicken, bat...)? Is the manure fresh or has it been composted before use?

Old 05-27-18, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
He said "dry cow manure".

Old 05-27-18, 05:35 PM
D
The bag simply says dehydrated cow manure...

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: