Weeds in Iris Beds

Old 06-01-18, 07:48 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Weeds in Iris Beds

Are there any weed killers which are safe to use for killing weeds in iris beds?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-18, 09:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
The waxy leaves of iris don't absorb herbicides as well as most weeds. I just use a glyphos (standard Roundup) based weed killer for spot treatment. It will kill iris if you spray them hard but if you get the tip of your sprayer close to the weeds and minimize the spray that hits the iris they will survive. If you've let your flower bed totally go and just want to hose it the I don't know of anything that will only kill weeds and not the flowers.

Old 06-01-18, 09:35 AM
Received 393 Votes on 367 Posts
Check out Preen, it's a somewhat natural weed preventer and is very safe to use on most plants/flowers.

Old 06-01-18, 01:08 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
My wife is a big believer in Preen, but, as mentioned, it's for preventative applications, and I don't think is going to do much if anything for weeds that are actively growing. I don't recall ever using Roundup for spot applications, but have heard a couple people suggest wearing rubber gloves and applying it with a paint brush to specific weeds.

Old 06-01-18, 01:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I generally lay newsprint down and then mulch around my irises. That takes care of most of the weeds although there are some that will need to be pulled from time to time. Once the iris get dense they pretty much crowd out most of the weeds.

Old 06-01-18, 04:45 PM
Received 393 Votes on 367 Posts
Mulch is the ultimate weed block. Every 3-4 years we lay down 25 yards of mulch to all our perennial beds in the early spring before anything comes up and rarely have to do any weeding.

But it takes a good 4-6" of mulch to keep everything under control!