Is something wrong w/ my 2 year old tree?

Old 06-10-18, 06:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is something wrong w/ my 2 year old tree?

I had to replace my old big tree 2 years ago with a crepe mertyl tree.

I honestly don't know if the tree has grown in the last 2 years. I'm sure growth is slow but the tree seems to be about 6/7 ft at the tallest.

But I noticed at the bottom of the tree some leaves or stems are coming out. I've attached pictures. My gardener told me they're roots!!!! What!!!! why are roots coming out of the tree on the outside?!?!?

Is the tree I got damaged or was improperly planted? And should I leave these branches there or cut them?

Attached Images    
Old 06-10-18, 09:03 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I'd say they're suckers. I get them on new trees until they're established. I just cut them off as near as possible from the main root they are growing from. You might have to move some of the bark/dirt away. You usually don't get them unless a root is exposed or very near the surface. It's just the tree trying to send some growth energy into the wrong place. These are "bad" in that the tree is expending a lot of energy to push these up, energy that could be spent growing the tree taller.

Not sure if the location, bound up by all that concrete has something to do with it.

My crape myrtal grows slowly also.

Old 06-11-18, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes, they are suckers and it is normal for many trees to produce them. Just cut them off. They will likely reappear so you will have to cut them off a couple times a year.

Crepe Myrtle is not a good tree for the location in your photo. They don't grow tall and try to form several trunks. Basically they are a short dense tree that will block the view along the street. With regular pruning you can keep the lower part clear for visibility but very soon the crown will be growing over the street and sidewalk.

Crepe myrtles are drought tolerant once they are well established but they do need regular watering during the first year to get them established. The growth of yours may be stunted by all the pavement. Pavement often means poor quality soil and no water so you might need to do some fertilizing and regular watering if your want to see a reasonable growth rate.

Old 06-11-18, 05:59 PM
N
Thank you both for the valuble info.

It brought back a memory that when the tree guy was planting the new tree, he did mentioned that there was a lot of concrete around!

The city here replaces all the trees with crepe mertyles. There's a nice grown one across the street and there's a 'teenage' one my neighbor has. Both are surrounded by concrete too.

We liked our old tree, forgot the name, but it was huge. it provided a lot of shade. I'm hoping this tree when it grows provides the same shade.

Im doing some regular watering meaning at least once a week. not sure if it's enough. For fertilizing, can you give me more information? What do I need to buy and how do I use it?

Old 06-12-18, 04:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
I would wait until early fall before fertilizing or at least a month. Give the tree some time to overcome the shock of being transplanted. The last thing you want to do is kick a new tree into fast growth right before the heat and dryness of summer.

Old 06-12-18, 11:55 PM
N
when watering the tree today i noticed some mushrooms growing a few inches from it. fungus? should i be worried?

Old 06-13-18, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, the mushrooms will not hurt.

Old 06-16-18, 03:31 PM
N
so today i got some tree spikes and put them around the tree.

i also bought some mulch and put that around the tree and away from the base.

hope this helps w/ growth. I'm trying to water it this summer at least 2-3 times a week.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: