Hydrangeas Browning

Old 06-18-18, 06:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hydrangeas Browning

Does anyone know what could be causing this browning? They get full sun for a few hours in the morning. We thought it might be too much water so we cut back, but hasn’t helped. We’ve tried Miracle Grow once per week.
CENTRAL TEXAS ZONE 8

Attached Images  

Last edited by mitigater; 06-18-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 04:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
What hydrangea specifically do you have? Many will turn brown as a result of high heat and sun exposure.

Your plant appears wet. This can also contribute to the flowers turning brown. When watering apply the water at soil level and don't wet the flowers or leaves.

Hydrangea planted in the ground can go days without water. When planted in a pot they may need watering every day and on hot, dry days they may even need it several times during the day. The wilting they go through when low on water can cause the flowers to brown.

Old 06-19-18, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I just planted one of these about a month ago and mine started turning brown too, this past week. The directions that came with mine say full sun to part shade so I planted in a spot that gets sun much of the day. It says to keep soil evenly moist but not wet, however, we had quite a rainy spell after I planted. A week ago we had 3-4" of rain in one night, so not sure if that had something to do with it.
So don't have any advice except to say it's not just you.

Old 06-19-18, 09:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
I have a dozen+ mophead hydrangeas around my office building. Those that get no direct sun but lots of bright shade look great the longest and only turn brown at the very end of the season or during periods of drought. Those that get full sun are absolutely roasted by the sun for about 8 hours and baked by heat from the building and pavement. They will show brown like your photo when summer arrives. Water staves off the browning but when we get to full 90f+ temperatures there is no amount of water that will prevent it. Ample water does help them last longer without browning. Mine are in the ground and with daily watering still wilt under the afternoon heat and sun and eventually show browning of the blossoms. The plants that get a few hours of morning sun, then shade will also eventually have browning though it comes a few weeks later than the ones that get full sun.

Old 06-19-18, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
That's great! I wonder why they include stupid, incorrect instructions?

Is it too late to transplant it to another location? Funny thing is, turns out where I would've liked to plant it, would have been the ideal spot for it. I only put it where it's at because of the instructions!

Old 06-19-18, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
OK, so DH dug it up and put it in a large pot for now and stuck it in a more shadier area. Hope it does okay.

Old 06-19-18, 03:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
You should get DH his favorite cold beverage.

Old 06-20-18, 09:50 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I’ll try more water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: