NEW TO GARDENING (help!)

Old 05-22-01, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Greetings, all! We recently built a new home and I desperately need help with my first (ie: successful) garden.

I live in east central Florida (hot & humid). Getting ready to start my garden, but I'm afraid I need major help.

My dilemma (s):

No trees yet, so there is no shade to speak of. We want to plant crepe myrtles & dogwoods. Are these good choices?

I want sturdy, long lasting plants/flowers for borders. I know crotons grow very well in this area (i don't even know what zone I'm in!). Any suggestions for perennials?

Lack of funds. I do not have a lot of money to waste. I need to do this right the first time! As long as they last, I don't mind spending a little extra.

Children/pet. I have 4 kids and a dog. I cannot have anything that is dangerous or hurtful (thorns, etc).

I love color! Any suggestions for bushes or long lasting flowers?

Thank you all for your help and feedback!

Old 05-22-01, 03:01 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Regis,

Would you mind if I sent you an email? I know three people that garden in Florida, and I'm sure they would be happy to help you out and probably even send you photos of their gardens.

Gami

Old 05-22-01, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
e-mail is welcome!

Any hints or tips I can get would be appreciated!

Old 05-22-01, 06:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Florida Gardening

A great source of info is your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent. Your Agent is very familiar with the gardening challenges in your particular area and can provide you with lists of plants, shrubs, and trees that fair the best in your Zone. Can also provide you with info for the best mix of grass seed and the best schedule for lawn care. Please take advantage of this wonderful source of free info. And, you need to talk with your Agent about getting your soil tested, too.

Old 05-22-01, 08:05 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Regis,

I've never sent an email to anyone here before. It didn't show up in my "sent" folder, so I'm not sure how this works. If you didn't get it, please let me know.

Gami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: