Peonys refuse to bloom

Old 05-17-01, 03:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We are on very sandy and rocky soil. I've transplanted some peony (unsure of spelling, sorry) tubers that were in another spot in the yard. In the originaly location, they would come up, foliate a little, but never bloom. In the new location they come up more robustly, form flower heads, but that is as far as they go. We've got the little ants they like, I've tried some MiracleGro and plenty of water. What's missing (besides my dictionary and a green thumb)?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-01, 03:51 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Riding Beggar,

You didn't say where they are planted. They need full sun or at least 6 hours. It's a myth that the ants help open the flowers. They are after the sugar.

Maybe you just need to be patient.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1170.htm

Gami

Old 05-17-01, 03:52 PM
Peonies won't bloom

You may have leaf spot disease. Spray a couple times now with fungicide. In the spring spray early as the plant begins to grow. Ants don't have anything to do with the peonies blooming, although that old wive's tale has been passed down. They are attracted to the sticky substance on the buds. To remove ants on peonies that you bring indoors you can shake them off or give them a quick dunk in sudsy water and shake. Folks who plant peonies too deep tend not to get a bloom, but since yours produced buds something obviously nipped them in the bud.

Old 05-18-01, 07:01 AM
I think you just need to wait. My Peonies are about 3' tall and loaded with buds about 1" in diameter. They have beautiful blooms every year.

It just ain't their time yet!

BTW, I am in a similar climate to So. IN.

Old 05-19-01, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
You may have leafspot, as twelvepole suggests.

Next spring spray with bordeaux mixture, zineb or captan.

I doubt if you need the miracle-gro. Peonies do fine for years with no feeding, even if poor soil. How much and what strength did you apply?