Small deformed apples

Old 07-14-18, 05:12 AM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Small deformed apples

What is going on with this apple tree??.? They are all puny, not round and look like they are eaten up with small black holes. This has happened several years. Lots of green leaves. I don’t feed it anything or spray it with any thing, and live on the street Johnny Appleseed was born on embarrassingly enough. I’ll try post a picture if I can.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-18, 02:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
What kind of apple is it? With that small size I'm wondering if it's an ornamental.

Old 07-14-18, 03:00 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
don’t feed it anything or spray it with any thing,
Well, what do you expect? Nature is full of insects and other animals all competing for the same food source as we are. Ornamental or otherwise all fruit trees need care and protection from insects and disease.

Old 07-16-18, 06:12 PM
H
This was an HD Mac Dwarf tree I believe. I remember one year out of twenty, I got about 6 buckets of apples. That year I happened to be attempting to clean the tree because the bark was splitting open in several places and oozing out sap and I think someone thought it was a diseased tree. I scrubbed it with a big brush with warm soapy water and a shot of bleach. I’m not sure why it gave so much fruit that year but I saw this master Gardner one say stimulating the bark by beating it with a newspaper will make the neighbors think your nuts, but the tree will get a shot of adrenaline by it.

Old 07-17-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If it is a dwarf McIntosh how many trees do you have? Most/all that I know of require at least two for pollination.

How old is the tree? Most dwarf trees have a rather short lifespan. 5-10 years old is usually prime production after which production falls off. 15-20 years could be about the end of it's life.

Old 07-19-18, 08:32 PM
H
that explains it

its about 1996 or so. used to have a few other trees but they died. One year that I scrubbed it and had some crab apple branches I got from a friend and just laid them in the branches we had about 5 or 6 buckets of good apples. I pruned it the year before also. I think I ll give her another scrubbing at the end of the year, a prune and maybe a fruit tree spray or 2 and see what produces....Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: