walnut tree

Old 08-23-18, 11:48 AM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
walnut tree

I have a walnut tree that I will someday take down but for the time being I would just like to kill it so it will stop giving me those walnuts. Is there a way that I can do that without having to cut it down yet? Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-18, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
Hmm, walnuts are good for you and expensive to buy! Lucky you!
Anyways, I always heard pouring salt water around the tree will kill it. Worth a try, if that's what you really want!

Old 08-23-18, 12:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I'd rather keep the tree alive and somewhat healthy until I was ready to cut it down.

You could probably find someone willing to collect and take the walnuts for you.

Old 08-23-18, 12:11 PM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks to both replies but I want to kill it and I don't want those walnuts in my yard.

Old 08-23-18, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Around here people buy walnut trees.

Girding the tree, cutting through the bark and then 1-2" into the tree will do it. You can then apply poison to the exposed wood, painting it on.

Old 08-23-18, 12:24 PM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ernie banks
I have a walnut tree that I will someday take down but for the time being I would just like to kill it so it will stop giving me those walnuts.
Is there a way that I can do that without having to cut it down yet? Thanks.
Simple,

1) https://www.farmanddairy.com/top-sto...ts/215439.html

Walnuts and black walnuts are a staple of Italian and Korean cuisine, you should find plenty of people who are willing to get rid of walnuts, including black walnuts.

2) Contact the local Sons of Italy organization and let tell the older members know you're giving away free walnuts. Problem solved.

3) Contact the nearest Korean Church / school, let them know you're giving away free walnuts. Problem solved.

In return, you might get some old school sicilian gnocci-de-noci, calabrian-walnut-cake, or Korean golgamssamon (walnuts wrapped in persimmon paste) or walut flour cookies with red bean filling.

Last edited by Hal_S; 08-23-18 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 04:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Yes, it's easy to kill a tree while it's still standing but trees decay MUCH faster than you think when dead and standing. If you kill the tree while it's still standing it may come down unexpectedly much sooner than you expect. It's something I've done many times in my forest. It's totally different to do it to a tree anywhere near structures or where people may be. If anyone is injured or property damaged by that tree you may be liable for intentionally killing the tree and leaving the hazard standing.

Girdling the tree like XSleeper mentioned works. Just a quick ring all the way around the trunk with a chainsaw will do it. You can also drill a series of holes around the perimeter and pour glyphosate concentrate into the holes. But I HIGHLY recommend just cutting the tree down and NOT kill while standing and turning it into an hazard.

Old 08-24-18, 06:17 PM
F
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
I have killed trees by drilling a hole into the trunk with a long auger, making a hole toward the center of the tree and inclined downward. Then put a funnel in the hole and pour diesel fuel into it. You can find plastic funnels with the spout angled to one side that you can use to get the fuel into the hole without spilling so much fuel. And the more steeply the hole is angled, the more fuel it can hold. In a day or two the fuel will have soaked into the wood and you can top the hole off again. Depending on the size of the hole, keep refilling the hole for a week or two the tree will be sick unto death.

FWIW, black walnuts are my favorite. I'd sooner eat them than cashews, pistachios or macadamias. Plus you can pickle the whole fruit before the nut begins to form and use them in Henry Bain sauce. Or let them ripen and make Nocello, a traditional Italian homemade liqueur (also known as Nocino).