Sick southern pecan tree - has phylloxera

Old 05-20-01, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I need some help saving our Pecan tree. It's a large pecan tree with a disease called Pecan Phylloxera and it gets worse each year. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this disease?
It looks like the following;

There's an interesting article about the disease at
http://www.treehelp.com/trees/hickor...hylloxera.html
Any advice would be helpful!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-01, 05:03 PM
Pecan phylloxera

Pecan phylloxera is an aphid like insect responsible for gall formation on leaf steams and blades of the pecan tree. Once the galls appear, it's too late to control. Timing of insecticide applications is critical, applying from bud break to one inch of new growth. Pecan aphids tend to become resistant to Asana, Ammo, Fury (pyrethroid materials). Thus, these are usually not used unless all other methods have failed, and then only in late season and not more than twice. Use an insecticide labeled for pecan phylloxera: aldicarb (Temik--extremely toxic and not recommended in the landscape), carbyl (Sevin), dinoseb (DN-289, Chemox 289), endosulfan (Thiodan), lime sulfur, lindane, malathion, phosaline, and horticulture oil. I have always had success using horticulture oils on overwintering pests. You can check with your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent in your area for his recommendations and with the local nursuries as to what horticultural oil they recommend. I always used Volck oil products, but you need to use the right one for your situation. Good luck.

Old 05-24-01, 08:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks! It sounds like I'll have to spray the whole tree... Is there anything that will spray to the tree top about 100 feet high?

Old 05-24-01, 08:39 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Javahead,

I had to spray some maples. I used an Ortho hose end sprayer and climbed a ladder to reach the top.

Gami