crape myrtle help

Old 12-18-18, 02:26 PM
delete i can't post images to save my life

Last edited by Bluebellabodhi; 12-18-18 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-18, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Here are instructions to post pictures.

Old 12-19-18, 09:21 AM
help with crape myrtle, did my photo upload?

Okay, I guess it uploaded....my gardener did not know how to prune crape myrtles. I knew they looked bad...his "bad" pruning went on for over 10 years. Ugly stumps where he pruned them instead of the pretty smooth trunk I see on other crape myrtles. Finally I asked him to stop pruning them and by chance found a man to help. However he is hard to get a hold of. He (I hope,) got me started in the right direction.

I live in the San Francisco East bay. I think the myrtles should be pruned back in the winter? How much to prune now...and need advice for the spring when they start blooming again.

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-18, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Most plants including crape myrtle don't require any pruning. Pruning is most commonly done to produce a shape or appearance that humans want. The plant is perfectly fine growing and doing it's own thing without having it's arms or head cut off every season. That said crape myrtle tolerate (notice I said tolerate not "like" or "love") heavy pruning pretty well. You can even prune them at almost any time and they will survive but most often it's done in the late fall.

Old 12-19-18, 12:50 PM
Thanks, I read somewhere they needed pruning in the late fall....I guess my gardener read the same thing. The man who was helping said just prune downward facing or floppy shoots, inward facing shoots, snipping the growth in the crotch, remove root collar shoots. He asked me how tall I wanted them to grow. Something about pruning them if I don't want them too tall, let shoots grow to around 18 inches and cut back around 9 inches. How tall will they grow left unpruned? The height they are in the picture seems good. I don't want them...??? 15 feet tall or whatever they get on their own.

Old 12-19-18, 12:54 PM
And thanks for helping with the photos. I can't believe I did it. Posting photos has been the bane of my existence for years....I always end up having to have my daughter do it. I try to have her show me...she does it...I take notes... try to do it on my own and it all ends in failure and a large bottle of scotch, .

Old 12-19-18, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
I have two that are way over 30 years old and seven that are 15 years old and have never been pruned. They are spectacular! But, you may want to prune yours since it's close to the fence to control it's size. They will grow quite large if not reigned-in.

Old 12-19-18, 04:54 PM
Thanks, prune like the man suggested, let the shoots grow around 18 inches and cut back to 9 inches sound appropriate? I wasn't sure if he meant prune that way "forever" or he was helping me get them back in shape after the bad pruning the gardener had done. How tall are yours?

Old 12-19-18, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
I see the crepe murder done in some areas.. Its ugly and doing the tree an injustice.. What a shame..

Just my opinion though..

Read here....

Let it grow as its supposed to grow!!!!

https://www.southernliving.com/garde...hat-concerns-p

And watch this vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=momWEHSiB88

Old 12-20-18, 02:28 PM
Crepe myrtle are sort of invasive, it's OK as long if you have room. They will take over an area. But they are beautiful,
Sid

Old 12-20-18, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the YouTube videos, those are great. Unfortunately after almost 10 years of my gardener committing "crape murder" my trees aren't in great shape. I hope I can heal them. I do take responsibility for what my gardener did. I hope, think, my original landscaper put in crapes that wouldn't naturally grow too tall.