pepper plants

Old 05-24-01, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Why are my pepper plants not growing this year? They did great last year. Every thing else in my garden is doing good.

Old 05-24-01, 01:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joe,
It depends what zone your in, but I'm sure they will take off fairly soon. Mine have been in two weeks, haven't done much growing, but the tomato plants have nearly tripled in size. They just grow a bit slower. Just give them some time, or a little boost with some miracle grow or a sprinkle of 10-10-10. They will be fine.
fred

Old 06-05-01, 06:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi! I've also heard that pepper plants like sulfer - the ideal thing to do is bury a book of matches under each plant before trasplanting - but since they are already in the ground - just rip off the match heads and bury them about 1" below the soil completely around the plant. Egg shells are very good as well.This is my first year with a vegetable garden (zone 6) and all my plants are doing very well. Is it due to the sulfer??? Not sure - but it hasn't hurt! Good luck!

Old 06-05-01, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mom of sam,
The sulfer will alter the Ph slightly, while the phosphorous, also in the matches, will help with root growth. Your best bet is still some 10-10-10 fertilizer, which is 10 percent phoshorous and 10 percent nitrogen. The potassium will be a bonus for any crop.
fred

Old 06-06-01, 07:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Peppers love heat - it seems the hotter the temp, the better they grow.

I live in GA, and so far we have had a cool spring. My peppers are growing really slowly. I expect them to pick up when it heats up again.

(the best peppers I ever grew were in a 5-gal bucket on a concrete patio in the city in the Boston area - the heat made them leap!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: