Fescue

Old 05-24-01, 07:19 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi All,

What's the difference between fescue and tall fescue? Do they have different uses? I'm not a lawn person, but our lawn is fescue, and have a few spots that need reseeding. I wasn't sure what to buy.

Thanks,

Gami

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-01, 10:50 PM
Fescue

Tall fescue is a perennial bunch type grass that grows rapidly in the spring and fall. It may thin out and become clumpy and may need reseeding every fall. Kentucky 31 is the old, common cultivar of tall fescue. Newer, and more attractive fescues are called "turf type" and have finer leaf blades, lower growth habits, darker green leaves, and greater density and shade tolerance than Kentucky 31. Most areas have blends of grass seeds that perform better in their area or growing zone. Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent to find out what is recommendation to be the best blend of grass seeds for your area. Purchase a mix of fescue seeds that is recommended for your area.

Old 05-26-01, 05:14 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks Twelvepole. Our property used to be a pasture. The fescue does great here and grows fast--too fast. I was in Walmart when I thought about needing grass seed. Trying to find someone to help you is not the easiest thing.

Gami

Old 05-26-01, 08:39 AM
Fescue for lawn

Chances are you have the tall fescue if you have claimed pasture or orchard land as your lawn. I believe you will find more knowledgeable help at a local garden center, rather than at Walmart. Again, your Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent is a wonderful source of free help for all your gardening needs. You will find help with the recommended seed mix for your area, info on soil testing, as well as lawn maintenance, and info on lawn diseases.

Old 05-28-01, 06:36 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Twelvepole! It DOES sound like tall fescue. I'll check it out.

Gami

Old 05-31-01, 07:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Fescue is a genus of grasses. Tall Fescue is a species, a member of the genus, Fescue.

To be precise, you wouldn't have "fescue" in your lawn but rather "tall fescue", "creeping fescue", "hard fescue" or another member of the Fescue genus.

Old 05-31-01, 09:02 PM
Fescue

That's right, Sled. Most seed mixes tend not, however, to provide folks with what type of fescue is in the mix. And, folks at the garden centers tend not to know there is a difference. I guess that's why we're here on the Forum. Thanks to folks like you we learn so much.

Old 05-31-01, 09:25 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sled! I'll have to "read" more to become a lawn person. Our yard could use it!

Gami

Old 05-31-01, 09:45 PM
Fescue

Hey, Gami! I'm beginning to think as long as it's green, you're lucky. I don't care what it is.

Old 05-31-01, 10:04 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hey Twelvepole,

I believe I agree with you! With 6 acres of our own, and two others that I mow--for reasons I don't care to go into right now--anything green looks good! Stop this rain so it doesn't grow so fast! I believe I'll see if I can't find short, short fescue! Is there such a thing???

Gami

Old 05-31-01, 10:13 PM
Visiting Guest
dwarf fescue or buffalograss

Old 06-01-01, 08:05 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Sled. I'll remember that for our next yard.

Gami