Chestnut Trees

Old 07-25-19, 11:14 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chestnut Trees

Iíve started about 30 chestnuts trees from seed. They are currently in 1 gallon pots. Plan to move to larger pot soon. Trees are about 2í tall. Iíd rather plant next year as two year old sampling but donít know how to winter them over. If I leave them above ground in their pots, they will freeze solid. If I bring in doors, they wonít go dormant. Any thoughts/tricks???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-19, 11:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Why not dig a hole and 'plant' pot and all, then dig them up next year to place them where you want them.
Are these 100% american chesnuts or a hibred?

Old 07-25-19, 12:22 PM
D
Not sure, they have been in my yard since iíve owned it. Thought about digging them in but was wondering if there is a more efficient way.

Old 07-25-19, 03:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I bury pots in mulch. It's much lighter than dirt so it's a lot easier to dig them out next spring. Depending on where you are located make sure you use a thick enough pile of mulch so bitter cold can't soak in from the side. So, avoid a wimpy cone shaped pile that just barely reaches the top of the pot. Build up a nice flat top pile with the flat on top being a foot wide and tamp the mulch down so it's firm and doesn't settle over winter.

Old 07-26-19, 05:06 AM
D
Thanks. Iím in south east PA. Temps can drop below zero but definitely not the norm and not for long period of time. Avg January low is 22 while high is 37.