Tulips

Old 05-31-01, 10:50 AM
Visiting Guest
I purchased tulip bulbs planted them and the first spring they were great. The next year some of them simply were gone others put up just one or two leaves. I left the foliage to brown. Are some more consistent than others? If so which varieties.... Or do I need to feed them yearly? Any help would be appreciated. I'm in zone 6 thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-01, 06:53 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi J.O.A.T.,

I've had the same thing happen! Mystery, isn't it???

Some of the bulbs could have been eaten by who knows what. I've always heard it's best to buy bulbs from a reputable nursery. I've had pretty good success from those from Home Depot and places like that.

One group of tulips has only gotten one or two leaves.

I'll be all "eyes" to the answers you get.

Gami

Old 06-01-01, 06:22 AM
Bone meal is the food of choice for all spring bulbs. Since you have to work from above now, unless you transplant, work some into the soil a couple inches. This may help for next year's bloom. The non-flowering problem could also be the result of moles chewing on the bulbs. I have seen it suggested that the bulbs be planted in a "cage" of rabbit wire (1/2"), without a top, so the plants can grow upward properly. Tried this once, but it's sort of an extreme solution. Since almost all spring bulbs are imported from Holland, any retail source should be fine.
fred

Old 06-01-01, 07:41 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thank Fewalt! Hopefully, next year they all bloom.

I've had good luck with some that came from Walmart also.

Gami

Old 06-05-01, 06:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hi all! I've heard/read that you are supposed to move tulip bulbs every year in the fall. Apparently they don't like to rebloom in the same sight. I plan on digging mine up in late September and moving them - this is my first year with them so it will be an experiment to see how they do next spring after the fall move. I'll keep you posted...

Old 06-05-01, 12:51 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Mom,

That's interesting. I've never heard that before. Did they say why? It could be that they think they need to move the bulbs to add fertilizer to the new planting hole. You can fertilize them by scratching some in around the soil.

Gami

Old 06-16-01, 04:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Gami! My mistake - it's every 2 years that you need to move the bulbs. Repeted plantings in the same soil are supposedly an open invitation to diseases such as fire blight. you don't have to necessarily change the location of the bilb bed - your option is to change the soil (if you have a raised bulb bed). In the interim year - keep the soil well limed - then you can replant in the same spot the following year. As I said before - I got this info from a well seasoned bulb person - I don't know this from experience. But I figured why wait until I have a problem? I'll just move them next year to avoid disease. I'll keep you posted....

mom

Old 06-17-01, 07:26 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Mom,

Thanks for the explanation. We're all here to learn, and trust me, you learn a lot from these garden boards.

By the way, how old is Sam??? I take it Sam is an only child?!

Gami