When to trash a rose bush?

Old 08-10-19, 06:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question When to trash a rose bush?

I bought was was supposed to be an orange shrub rose. It seemed to survive the winter. However I'm noticing the main part of the stock is brown/dead and the only live/new growth appears to be coming off the sides. The shrub is in full sun (zone 6) and no signs of disease. However the branches are spindly with only one rose at the end of each branch. Not exactly the robust bloomer it was advertised to be.

Has the main stock died and these blooms are just some kind of volunteers? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I want to find a shrub loaded with blooms all season.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-19, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 159 Posts
You aren't going to get a thick bush in just one season. And roses do tend to die back from winter kill which alters growth patterns. You might check out videos on rose pruning. Home Depot has a nice one. A spindly rose probably has never been pruned.

If you want a rose that blooms all season you need to get knockout roses, and once they have finished blooming, deadhead the old flowers by nipping them off.

Old 08-10-19, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
When you say the only live new growth is to the sides what does that mean specifically?
Is there new green growth from top to bottom of the plant? Is the top portion dead but you have new growth emerging from the stem a few inches above the ground?

Old 08-11-19, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Not what you asked but make sure this does not end up in a compost pile at any point as the thorns do not break down like the rest of the plant.

Old 09-01-19, 03:17 PM
I don't have an answer to this but I have a question about giving up on a rose bush.
I planted them 15 years ago but never cared for them. Never trimmed, fed, pruned, and watered them minimally. they turned in to big knotted stumps with wild vines shooting everywhere.
They lived, despite my neglect. Now my wife is trying to fix them but after 2 seasons of cutting them and watering them, all we get or lush green bushes but very few actual roses.
Should I dig them up and start again?

Old 09-01-19, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
82angelfan Most types of roses produce on the new first year growth. But depending on when you trim, and how much you trim, you might just be promoting growth. They might also need fertilizer... either spikes or well composted horse manure.

Old 09-01-19, 06:04 PM
The last two years, we cut them all the way back to stump around November. My wife trims them, dead buds, if they even bud, and tries to cut the thick "sucker vines" (my aunt's term). I'll give the stakes a try. Hate to dig them up.

Old 09-01-19, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
That sounds like the problem then. You don't trim them back in the fall... especially to nothing. It sounds like you might have a bush rose, and they get trimmed in the spring, and only to half their full grown height.

Old 09-02-19, 07:52 AM
ok, I will try that this year. Trim in spring to half plus food stakes. Does amount of water mater? I usually fill the well around the base every couple of days

Old 09-03-19, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
There are entire books and websites devoted to pruning roses. Do some reading. When and exactly where you make your cuts makes a difference. But, cutting back all the way to "the stump" can be a big problem. Many roses are grafted. One variety is the root stock and other is the upper flowering. If you cut off the upper part they will often re-grow but it will be the root stock variety that comes back. The plant will usually be hearty and healthy but not the best for flower production.