When to trash a rose bush?

Old 08-10-19, 06:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question When to trash a rose bush?

I bought was was supposed to be an orange shrub rose. It seemed to survive the winter. However I'm noticing the main part of the stock is brown/dead and the only live/new growth appears to be coming off the sides. The shrub is in full sun (zone 6) and no signs of disease. However the branches are spindly with only one rose at the end of each branch. Not exactly the robust bloomer it was advertised to be.

Has the main stock died and these blooms are just some kind of volunteers? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I want to find a shrub loaded with blooms all season.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-19, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
You aren't going to get a thick bush in just one season. And roses do tend to die back from winter kill which alters growth patterns. You might check out videos on rose pruning. Home Depot has a nice one. A spindly rose probably has never been pruned.

If you want a rose that blooms all season you need to get knockout roses, and once they have finished blooming, deadhead the old flowers by nipping them off.

Old 08-10-19, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
When you say the only live new growth is to the sides what does that mean specifically?
Is there new green growth from top to bottom of the plant? Is the top portion dead but you have new growth emerging from the stem a few inches above the ground?

Old 08-11-19, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
Not what you asked but make sure this does not end up in a compost pile at any point as the thorns do not break down like the rest of the plant.