Sassafras

Old 05-31-01, 02:11 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi everyone, Swamprose here! I'm requesting information on how and where to purchase sassafra leaves for making teas and other ------. Can you provide any info??? Thanks, and I'm also wondering if anyone has had any luck at all trying to raise the beautiful Paulowina [Empress]Tree, and if so, would you mind sharing your secrets with me. Thanks millions, and I love your forums. Swamprose

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-01, 03:06 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Swamprose,

Have you tried Health Food Stores for sassafras leaves? They probably even sell it in teabags. (I used to work in one.) Another possibility could be the specialized stores.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your tree.

Gami

Old 05-31-01, 03:43 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Sassafras

Thanks for the speedy reply, Gami. I will search the health food stores, and see what I can come up with. Maybe someone else will know about the tree. Swamprose

Old 05-31-01, 10:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't even TRY to grow a Paulowina and expect the results promised in the ads.

They need IDEAL conditions and MANY years to flower as the pictures show and ads claim.

Fast growing trees have disadvantages: weaker wood and less disease, insect & drought resistance.

Old 06-01-01, 09:40 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
To Sled

It upsets me very much over my Paulowinas, for I have ordered about a dozen, and so far the only one left is the one I planted around last June. It is now about 6 inches hi, and has about 8 to 10 leaves. I pinched many from it hoping to make it stronger. Promises made should be promises kept. I don't know why a nursery would promote, and sell, something they aren't sure would fulfill their promise to the public. I saw one on the way from a trip to Key West. It was the most beautiful tree I've ever seen in my life. It was hugh and loaded with flowers just like the ads. Can't remember for the sake of me what city I saw this blooming marvel in but really wish I could. The nursery where I purchased the tree asked for me to call, which I intend to do. Anyway, thanks for the comments and reply. Swamprose

Old 06-01-01, 03:32 PM
Sassafras

Sassafras tea is made from the young roots of the sassafras tree. Sassafras contains safrole which has been reported to be a carcinogen. Even safrole free sassafras was found to produce tumors in lab mice, so there must be something else besides the safrole in sassafras that is also a carcinogen. I would do a little research before I embarked to make sassafras tea.

Old 06-02-01, 10:47 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Sassafras

I must say thanks again, twelvepole, for this is great advice. I actually wanted to try and make File for gumbos, but I had read the exact same thing you quoted to me. Sounds like this ingrediant in sassafras could be very dangerous to us human beings also. My hometown,here in lower Alabama, has a very high rate of cancer, and file gumbo is one of it's favorite foods. This definately needs attention paid to it and needs to be carefully researched.
Swamprose

Old 06-07-01, 08:38 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Sassafras

There are lots of sassafras trees where I live. I am pulling starts out of the lawn each year! The tea is delicious, but recently heard the same as was mentioned here and haven't dug up any roots for tea since. Because it's so aromatic, just boiling the roots makes a great fragrance for the house, though!
~mlminin Z5/so.centralIN

Old 06-07-01, 09:24 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Hi mlminin, do so appreciate your response along with the rest. I still haven't decided about the sassafras after reading about the bad agents it carries, for anything to do with cancer is not up my alley.
Sassafras is the most useful, and flavorable ingredient used in my chicken and oyster gumbo, yet I can search around and find something else, [many people just use okra, which I love], but I do like the taste of file.
In any case----should I decide to purchase roots, leaves, and some starter plants, would you be willing to pick, pack and ship them to me, at my expense, of course??? Thank you sincerly, Swamprose

Old 06-08-01, 04:06 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Smile Sassafras

As a gardener, I love to share/trade what I have with others. I am wondering if there are any laws prohibitting me from fulfilling your request? Can anyone enlighten me? By the way, there is sassafras flavoring sold in a bottle for making tea. It isn't the same as "fresh", but maybe that is an option for you, if the other doesn't work out. I've seen it at a nearby market.
~mlminin Z5-so.centralIN

Old 06-08-01, 05:18 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
sassfrass

Another lady answered my question about the sassafras from another part of the world, ha. She says only the bark and root of the tree has the bad agents, but not the leaves. They are dried and ground for the file, which is distributed world-wide, so I see no reason you couldn't ship them to me, so-----will you, and if so, please let me know the cost of shipping a box somewhat larger than a shoebox. Know you probably don't want to air your address, so hope you'll trust my word. When I receive the package I will return the money, or do this however you would like. Thanks ever-so-much, miminin, my Internet Friend. Swamprose

Old 06-08-01, 05:30 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi M and Swamprose,

I would check with the post office if I were you. Some states do have laws against shipping plants, etc. due to diseases, insects, etc. There are steep fines if they are violated.

I would have been in a real pickle recently for sending seeds to Australia had I not declared them. Our post office checked and said seeds weren't on the forbidden list, but Australia said they were, along with umpteen other things that you wouldn't expect. Australia authorities said they had little insects in them and put them in quarantine. To make a VERY long story short, it took the recipient a long time to get my package. The seeds were just a little extra gift. We had a long discussion about all of this on another board.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Gami

Old 06-08-01, 06:26 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Gami, for the info. I would certainly never want to get another human being in trouble, so I will definately check with my p.o. and see what the rules for this state happens to be. I may be able to find it on the "net" :<}, but not quiet sure how to go about doing this. Whatever info I find, I will post it for everyone to read, for I live in Lower Al. It may be the plants have to be wrapped a certain way, or packed another. I'm sure M will be reading this also. Appreciate all replys, and have a great night everyone. It is now 8:22p.m. my time. Swamprose

Old 06-08-01, 07:45 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Smile Sassafras

Swamprose, I am going to check with my post office tomorrow and let you know what I find. If there isn't a problem with sending the leaves, if they are dry before sending them, I could send quite a few in a shoebox, which I will be glad to do! Till next time,
mlminin

Old 06-08-01, 09:11 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Thanks, mlminin. Am looking forward to hearing from you. I would also like to have several starters also, if possible.
My younger sister passed away last Sat. nite, and my family is still in undue stress, so in the event you don't hear from me for a couple of days I will get back to you soon as possible. Also, my e-mail is [email protected] if you prefer using that method to pass this info back and forth. Don't get me wrong, for I don't mind posting a bit, and I imagine it may help others who may or may not have similar ideas. Bye now, and may God bless you, and all who reads these posts. Swamprose

Old 06-09-01, 01:50 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Swamprose,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. My prayers are with you!

I think it would behoove us all if anyone finds a website with mail restrictions for the states or other countries to post it. I'll do a little searching when I have more time.

It was amazing what could NOT be sent to Australia - Miracle Whip being one of the strangest things on the list??? Who'd have guessed? Or for that matter want to send it!

Gami

Old 06-10-01, 07:19 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Amen to Miracle Whip, Gami, ha. I don't care for the stuff myself---prefer good ole mayonnaise, but everyone to their own thing. Sounds like an they might have an awful lot of restrictions in that country. Wasn't sure if I could find post office info or not, for if you search hard enough, you can find most anything---it's just how to go about doing it. Both, you and milminin, have been great in answering my posts and it's very appreciated. Swamprose

Old 06-10-01, 07:31 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Sorry, I didn't contact the P.O. yesterday. Will get back with you as soon as I know something.
~mlminin

Old 06-12-01, 05:12 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Shipping Plants and Seeds

http://new.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub14.pdf

Thank you, Gami, for providing all the URL's to check out The above site was very informative and anyone thinking about shipping plants/seeds should refer to it for information. Based on what I read and what my local post office told me, shipping the things that Swamprose requested
is an "okay" thing to do. We have corresponded privately through email during part of this discussion, and found that there are no restrictions to her location, other than that to which I am able to comply. I will need to be sure that the plants that need moisture are properly packaged and that the outside of the package is marked with "Live Plants". Easy as pie!
~mlminin Z5/so.cen.IN