Weedblock alternative

Old 05-31-01, 06:04 PM
I read a post from someone about using roofing felt instead of weedblock fabric to block weeds (cheaper alternative). Anyone tried this? My guess is it is more for pathways where you will not be doing planting.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-01, 06:45 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Bogey,

I think I read the same post. Have you been surfing???

I believe in the particular post that I read he was referring to a pathway. However, you could use it in flowerbeds. It would be a little more difficult to cut a hole in it than shove the mulch away or cut a hole through newspaper or whatever to set your plants into.

We've had several thunderstorms already this year. I saved the shingles that blew off the roof for this same thing--or to kill grass for a new flowerbed.

Gami

Old 05-31-01, 10:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Roofing felt is not permeable. Water needs to move through the barrier as weedblock allows.

Newspaper is a cheap alternative. 2-3 layers works well.

Old 05-31-01, 10:15 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Sled,

Sometimes impermeable is required. The roofing material is not a bad idea in my book! Everything has it's place in gardening.

Gami

Old 05-31-01, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Gami,

Why would a gardener not want water to drain?

Old 06-01-01, 06:05 AM
All,
I've suggested roofing felt a few times, it is much cheaper.
Bought another roll yesterday for my next project. It is best for walkways, but I also use it for just mulched areas also. If the water does accumulate too much in any particular area, a garden fork is all that is needed for a few drainage holes. But remember, whatever is used to block weeds won't totally prevent them from appearing. They have a way of growing out of most anything; the seeds carried by the wind will sprout up through sand, gravel, wood chips, mulch, etc. These few wannabes are easily removed.
fred

Old 06-01-01, 07:58 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

I've used newspapers under mulch with great success. I also have an area that has black plastic. It's been there for many years. I DO get a few weeds. In my book, that would be the same as roofing felt. It's only around some shrubs, but they've been thriving all this time.

I believe roofing felt would be good to use on a new bed. Then when the mulch needed refreshed, it could be removed if one wanted to.

Gami

Old 06-01-01, 04:02 PM
Gami,
You're right, the felt is best for new beds. That's what I'm creating now in an area which is on the side of a hill, very rocky, and grass wouldn't grow. Put in six new fruit trees, with felt around, and made some new terraced flower beds and walkways. As far as any drainage through the felt; don't worry about that, water will find it's way around the felt, it will drain fine with or without holes. If I find some good deals on azaleas or rhodys, I'll poke through the felt to plant them. Take care,
fred

Old 06-02-01, 07:52 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

Your new area sounds nice. I wish we could post pics here.

I'm glad this discussion was brought up. Our land slopes quite a bit. I recently did some landscaping near the back of the house where it's really slopey. I've had a problem with mulch being washed down the hill and also fighting weeds. I'm going to head for the store and get some roofing felt for that area.

Thanks,

Gami