Breeding large garlic

Old 10-04-19, 12:14 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Breeding large garlic

I like to plant my own garlic cloves from the previous year, in order to breed the biggest bulbs for my conditions. So do I just use all the cloves from the biggest bulbs, since they have the best genes for big bulbs? Or just use the biggest cloves from those bulbs? Do smaller cloves from a given bulb make smaller bulbs than the larger cloves from the same bulb?

Old 10-04-19, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
I have planted garlic a few times and it doesn't seem to matter. Seems to me, size of the garlic bulbs has more to do with the soil, fertilizer, growing conditions, timing of planting and watering, etc. Many types of garlic are best planted in the fall, the harvest once the stems have begun to dry up the following year. If garlic is crowded too close together that will result in a smaller bulb for sure. BTW, garlic and onions both love fertilizer. Old, composted horse manure is best.

But there's a lot of things about genetics that I don't fully understand. Harvesting and planting the seeds of a hybrid plant does not necessarily grow the same hybrid as last year. But bulbs are different, I believe. I think planting a harvested bulb is basically like planting a clone of itself, afaik.

Old 10-05-19, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Genetics is a whole field of research on it's own but picking the biggest cloves is a starting point. You'll have to post back and let us know how it turns out.

Like XSleeper mentioned do not ignore your growing conditions. They will have as much impact on the size of fruit you harvest as the genetics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: