Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Solar Garden Umbrellas - Winter Protection

Solar Garden Umbrellas - Winter Protection

Old 06-02-01, 05:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

About five years ago, I ordered Solar Garden Umbrellas from the Plow and Hearth catalog. I used them to protect my deciduous bonsai trees from the deer and rabbits during the winter. They were clear plastic umbrellas, with a green band around the bottom, and had a handle on top to allow the user to push the spiked bottom into the ground. This allowed the plants to winter over in a greenhouse-type environment. Plow and Hearth no longer carries the umbrellas. Does anyone know where I can get them? Last winter, I hid the plants from the deer, but the rabbits destroyed two of them. [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-01, 09:36 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi Sandy,

I did quite a bit of searching trying to find this. I've never heard of it before, but I'm bringing it up to the top again. Maybe someone else knows. Have you explained what it is to your local nursery? Maybe they would have some leads for you. I hate to see things go unanswered.

Gami

Old 06-06-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your efforts. I've tried several local garden centers, and there are lots of them, because I live in the Detroit metropolitan area. I've also called several catalogs and checked on line. Plow and Hearth has pulled up my old order from 1995 and saw the item on it. But they don't know where they bought it so long ago and haven't carried it for years. My next move will be to write them a letter and ask them to research their records for the supplier. But I'm stumped. Thanks again. Sandy

Old 06-06-01, 03:03 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
You're welcome, Sandy. It could be that maybe they don't make them anymore. I checked all the "famous" seed catalogs and nurseries. It sounds like you could rig something up very similar and probably cheaper.

Gami