Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Newbie wants to plant an herb garden. Need some info.

Newbie wants to plant an herb garden. Need some info.

Old 06-07-01, 12:12 PM
mojostrat
Visiting Guest
Question

Can anyone tell me what the optimum setup for an herb garden would be? I would like to use the area on the side of my house, or in the backyard.

What do I need to do in order to get the soil ready for planting?

I'm I looking for a dry place/wet place?

Can I plant any type of herb or some herbs go better with others? I'm thinking Basil, rosemary, thyme, Cilantro, mint.

Any suggestions on the basic concept dealing with herb gardens would be appreciated.

thanks
jay

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-01, 03:22 PM
Growing herbs

There are many good sites on the internet with helpful info for growing herbs. There are some excellent books available as well. You might want to stop by your local library. Your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent in your area is also a wealth of free info. Different herbs have different requirements. Some you may prefer to plant in containers.

Old 06-08-01, 05:33 AM
Jay,

As already mentioned by ‘twelvepole’ different herbs require different setup and environment. Where I live I reserved portion of the backyard only for herbs. From my experience I learnt that most of the herbs (like lemon balm and mint) require lots of water (never allow the soil to dry) and ample time of direct sunlight. On the other hand, Basil and thyme does not require frequent watering.

According to my knowledge, a humid location that receives at least 2 to 4 hours of direct sunlight daily should be fine. As I said, some herbs might require other specific environment, but you will be able to distinguish these by time.

ROBERT

Old 06-08-01, 08:50 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Mojostrat,

This site has great info on herbs. You'll have to do some clicking around in it -

http://www.richters.com/

This one is an FAQ on growing herbs from another garden board -

http://community.sierra.com/[email protected]^[email protected]

I do have an herb garden. Once you get one established, you should have it for years. Pay attention to what are annuals and perennials. Annuals can be potted up and brought in for the winter, or you can take cuttings from them. They will need a sunny window.

There is a ton of info on herbs using a search engine. I think you'll find having an herb garden an enjoyable experience.

Gami