Used Martha Stewart Magazines

Old 06-09-01, 02:11 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Question

I suppose all you gardeners and cooks out there keep your old Martha Stewart Living magazines, but thought I'd ask if anyone knows a good source for used ones? The local library can't keep them in, so that won't work. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy a subscription.
mlminin Z5-so.cen.IN

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-01, 03:10 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi M,

I don't know a good source for her old magazines, but here's her website. My subscription hasn't run out yet, but I'm not going to renew it. I'm disappointed in how the gardening section has shrunk in her magazine--and everything is on her site. Most of her recipes require a trip to the store(s) trying to find some of the ingredients.

http://www.marthastewart.com/

There is a website for practically every magazine out there. I'm saving a ton of money. Well, it hasn't paid for my computer yet tho!

Gami

Old 06-10-01, 07:49 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Smile Used Martha Stewart Magazines

Thanks, Gami. My "Cooking/Craft Daughter" is the one who wants the magazines. She says that some of the crafts aren't on the site that are in the magazines. She is finishing up a Tea Tray that she saw in one of the magazines and it's a beauty. She used pressed dogwood blossoms and leaves under the glass, using a picture frame. Next spring, we'll press some Lily of the Valley for another one (or more). This one is a birthday gift! I am the Gardener/Craft person in our family.
~mlminin

Old 06-10-01, 10:11 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi M,

Does your daughter know which issue it was in??? I may have that particular magazine and could scan it and send it to you. It sounds neat!

Has she heard of making envelopes out of magazines and old calendars??? MS's magazine has some great pages that are good for that. I use a lot of the gardening pages to make envelopes and send seeds in to gardening friends. This site has templates for the seed packets and also several size envelopes. (I'm a crafter too!)

http://www.bydonovan.com/templates.html

Gami

Old 06-10-01, 11:10 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Smile Used Martha Stewart Magazines

You are so kind! Actually, she found the Tea Tray idea from a May 98 issue and the tray is finished, gift wrapped and ready to take to the party today! The magazine left a lot of the instruction to the imagination, so it took quite a while to do, but any more should take MUCH less time. She wants to make an oval one for herself. We press flowers, ferns and leaves in an old telephone book each year to have on hand for when we want them, which has worked very well for us.

We love to do rubber stamping, too, so your envelope idea is one that I'll investigate. It sounds neat! And, of course, thank you the the template site, which I will add to my bookmarks. The seed packet idea is great! I have made them out of brown paper bags only. There are so many fun things to do!
~mlminin

Old 06-10-01, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
I like to press flowers too! I love the idea of a tea tray. I may have to try that - I'll look for the issue in the library.

Do you do anything to try to keep the flowers from fading over time (Aside from keeping out of direct light)? I've been looking to see if there's something that can be sprayed on it. Or maybe special glass from the frame shop. My brother is getting married and I want to offer to press the flowers. I'd like to get them to last as long as possible for them.

Old 06-11-01, 09:08 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
You're welcome, mlminin!

leu, you could spray with a clear matte sealer. You can buy sun resistant glass (or whatever it's called--UV protectant ?). I'm not sure if Michael's has it. I'd try a craft store before a specialty glass store. It might be cheaper there.

See you two at the craft forum.

Gami