Who knows anything about Lantana's?

Old 06-22-20, 09:55 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who knows anything about Lantana's?

My wife sends me a photo of a small flowering plant and says "I want one". It's called a Lantana. The flowers attract hummingbirds and butterflies - who wouldn't want that? I just happened to be going to Lowe's that day, so I bought one.

Now, I'm doing a little internet research (yes, after the fact) and I'm reading that the plants spread a toxin that keeps other plant's seeds from germinating, and they're toxic for dogs.

Did I really buy a plant this nasty?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-20, 02:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
Many plants wage their own chemical warfare and if you look up the other plants in your house and yard you'll find many more that are toxic to something. It's how they can be pest and disease resistant. Most dogs don't go around eating every plant in sight. If they do, they usually figure out that they shouldn't eat the plant after they get sick.

Old 06-23-20, 10:44 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I planted lantana and zinnias together. Both grow well side by side. My plants are still small and may not represent mature lantana bush. I also saw mature lantana bushes that weeds had no problem coexisting.

Old 06-24-20, 07:35 AM
Y
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
We grow lantana (or verbena...durned if I know) and they spread nicely and co-exist just fine with their neighbors.