Cucumber plant leaves eaten again

Old 06-29-20, 02:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cucumber plant leaves eaten again

This is the second time this season the cucumber plant leaves have been eaten. It seems it coincides with my neighbor's garden as well. The garden is fenced in, but something got in there. It seems that's the only plant that was eaten. Hopefully they'll still produce, one from last time did grow a decent amount of leaves back,

For now I got more chicken wire and made a barrier just around the cucumber plants. Covered the top too - in case it's birds eating them. I wonder, is it likely birds or something else? A lot of rabbits around here - but I wouldn't think they could scale the fence I put up. There's woodchucks too. I've seen raccoons at night and know they would be very capable of getting over the fence. The tomato and pepper plants seem undisturbed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-20, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
Could it be deer? they don't have any trouble hopping over a 4' fence.
I've had deer eat [or just taste] pretty much everything in my garden other than squash.

Old 06-30-20, 05:19 AM
S
If I was in a more rural area, probably. In the 35 years I've been there's been maybe a couple sightings. So far the extra fencing I made seems to help, but being cucumbers they will (hopefully) need to be expanded as the plant spreads.

Interesting the deer don't like squash.

Old 06-30-20, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
In my area the pests are deer as you'd expect but also a lot of damage to the produce from ground hogs and opossum which require a good fence tight to the ground. There is some leaf damage from rabbits but they don't attack the fruit like ground hogs and opossum.

Old 06-30-20, 05:40 AM
S
Ground hogs, opossum and rabbits are definitely present. I'll check for digging around the fence.