keep hose outside in freezing weather?

Old 10-12-20, 08:56 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
keep hose outside in freezing weather?

i have 100ft of hose on a reel . if i put it in a sheltered breezeway, will it be ok in spring? i have visions of whateve water is left in the hose expanding and cracking or just the fact that is wound up causing a rip

Old 10-12-20, 09:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is it connected to the hose bib? Our winter weather is such that I have the exterior water on one week and off the next. I always leave my hoses outside and hooked up BUT I make sure that 90% of the water has drained from the hose when I turn the supply to the exterior hose bibs off.

Old 10-12-20, 09:54 AM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It's easy for me to drain hoses for storage living in the mountains, but if you be a flat lander a hose draped over a fence with some thought or over a tree limb or even over the house works well for draining. But it should be drained for a couple of reasons. First it may freeze which probably not damage the hose, depending on material, but in an emergency where water may be needed that frozen hose has no value at all.

Old 10-12-20, 11:02 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
the hose is never connected until it's in use due to the setup which means 99 percent of the days of the year it's unhooked . just completed weekend powerwashing and now time to hibernate. i dont have a basement so in the past it sat in my utility room but took up valuable space. getting kinda tired of it. also wonder if just keeping it in the sun another month unused may 'drain' it.? through evaporation and bugs drinking out of it.

i cannot think of a single instance of needed the hose in freezing weather. only time i ever did in winter is 1st year in the house my roof leaked because of ice dam (ran hot water thru it) and i have a new roof now so no worries. plus i have other 'unopened' hose thats never had water in and also an old rollup hose if i reallllly needed it.

Old 10-12-20, 11:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I always have one hose outside for that once in a while day and the car needs to be cleaned.

I also have an hot and cold spigot in the garage to get a bucket of warm soapy water.

As long as you get the water out nothing is going to happen!

Old 10-12-20, 11:31 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I let my hoses hang on their storage rack year round in CT. I drain them and disconnect them and I remove the nozzles/wands. One of the hoses lasted more than 35 years.

Old 10-12-20, 11:32 AM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the information. You've told me some things I didn't know and I believe you have all the answers.

Old 10-18-20, 08:01 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
For a hose stored on a reel, disconnect both ends and rotate the reel not too fast several dozen times or until water stops coming out.. This should drain the water from the hose. (Google archimedes screw).

A hose can be left anywhere stretched out or coiled up after manual draining by disconnecting both ends and then lifting it up little at a time, working from one end to the other.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: