Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Need to convert garden from mud hole.... back

Need to convert garden from mud hole.... back

Old 06-17-01, 11:48 AM
denie
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi from The Netherlands,
I'm American from Pennsylvania living in the Netherlands the zone here is about 6 according to the US standards. I'm trying for an old English/cottage garden effect and in desperate need of some help. I have a front garden that's 12'x13' with a white picket fence on 2 sides. In the middle there is "nothing" and I mean nothing. I asked my bf to remove the grass so we could put new "grass" in and what ended up as something that should have been very easy, has turned into a huge mud hole (I'm talking mud wrestling standards). (No plastic to collect the old sod.... etc...) And all the plants are gone the only ones left are a "Japanese maple", weeping olive tree and rhodedendron. Each are placed in a separate corner of the garden along the fence. He was just about finished with taking out the grass when we had a huge thunderstorm. It washed out what few flowers were left, before he got to them. Shortly after we got another storm and finished of what the first storm started. I'd bought some roses to place along the white fence, (we had just painted the day before) that is now mud coated also. My problem is, I need to come up with some kind of design or plan before next Friday (June 22) that's when they'll deliver the 2x3meter of grass he bought. I wanted to make an attempt at posting photos of the garden before he got involved and how it looks now. But I can't find the option or does this forum not have that option. The BF said he wants it to look totally different. I still want Country Garden but very low maintance.
What I have is a garden bench, the trees I mentioned, the roses I bought and 5 pieces of flagstone that I had used as stepping stones, I thought about replacing them with some I found on another site made with Rhubarb leaves. Keep in mind this is a small garden and house, the other neighbors have no gardens per se'. They all used patio brick and potted plants for their gardens. So something too big might over power and not look right. (wish I could post a photo or two....)

Thank you for your help.
Denie

PS: you can all stop laughing now.

BTW the storms we had..... seems when they were building "New" Water Company office, they closed 3 drainage holes along the street in front of the building and the rain water had no place to go but back up the street and thru our toilet. now something else to do.

ok, you can laugh again

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-01, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Photo's

Hi, if you have a website why not upload your photo's to it and then post the address so that we can all see your garden and maybe suggest a solution to your problem. If you don't have a website of your own then create one using the free web space that possibly came with your ISP, they usually supply full instructions on how to do this and then you could upload your photo's to it ?

Old 06-17-01, 02:30 PM
denie
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the suggestion. I do have a website but the bf has changed everything and I'm not sure how to use the new programs. But I'll try to figure it out and get this posted.

denie