Jack’s Beanstalk Leaves Curling Up

Old 02-16-21, 07:36 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jack’s Beanstalk Leaves Curling Up

Hello:

I have had a Jack’s beanstalk (Castanospermum austral) as a houseplant for about 2 years now, and I quite like it.

However, something has gone horribly wrong with the leaves for the second time now – they basically curled up, became like paper, and started dropping.

The first time this happened, I cut of all the leaves and branches, and left it outside. New branches and leaves eventually showed up, and I moved it indoors.

Now, about 6 months later, the same old problem has afflicted the plant, as you can see from the pics.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem may be?

Thanks!!

Old 02-16-21, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
First and most likely guess is that someone in the neighborhood had their lawn sprayed with a broadleaf herbicide and there was some drift. Or, if it was moved into the sunlight, or subjected to too much heat, it's leaf scorch. If you feed the plant, too much fertilizer will burn it. More fertilizer is not better as far as most plants are concerned.

Old 02-17-21, 06:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
There are several things that can cause leaf curling like that:

Too much heat and/or too much light can cause leaves to curl upwards. Many plants also don't tolerate sudden dramatic change so if you are moving the plant around the differing light can cause the leaves to curl or drop. I've seen it from someone having a plant too close to the gas logs they never use... then one winter day they decide to light the fire and the plant gets hit with heat it's never experienced before.

Improper watering can also cause leaves to curl. Your leaves look pretty green and healthy so under watering might would be my guess versus over watering.

Insects can also cause leaf curl. I don't really see any in your photos but you can look very closely at the bottom sides of the leaves and dig a little in the soil at the base of the plant.

Some people dust or clean their houseplants. It is best to just use water only. Avoid using household cleaners. Plants don't like being disinfected.

Old 02-17-21, 07:06 AM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
XSPLR and PD,

Funny you mention this. My wife has the same problem with her plants. And I'm saying the heat duct is to blame. Problem is there is no window in our home that does not have a heat vent under it. And only one room that faces south. Can't win for loosing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: