Tips on weed barrier / landscape fabrics?

Old 04-10-21, 01:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tips on weed barrier / landscape fabrics?

I'm looking to redo some planter beds in my backyard. As I am not fond of pulling weeds, I'd like to make these beds as impervious to weeds as possible - yea right I know - insert jokes here . Some info on my yard/area/etc:
* I live in San Diego coastal area
* landscape is largely drought tolerant so doesn't get much water - Agave Attenuata, Senecio Mandrelaise (Blue finger iceplant)

I'm planning to replant a bunch of the Senecio which is pretty old.. And I'll be laying down some fabric to attempt to keep the weeds out, cutting some holes in the middle for the Senecio and other plants. I'm also planning to top the fabric with some mulch.

I have some landscape fabric from Costco a few years back, but it seems kinda thin. Is it worth it to get some super-heavy duty fabrics?

Any tips on fabrics/barriers and other weed blocking techniques greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-21, 01:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry missed these details in my original post:
  • Zone: 10a (According to the new 2012 map)
  • City: Solana Beach
  • State: CA

Old 04-11-21, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Thicker fabric might last longer and more resistant to really tough roots but I wouldn't feel bad about using the landscape fabric you already have. The biggest thing that kills it is UV. So, if you can bury it under a good layer of mulch it should have a long life (but yes, heavier duty material probably will last longer).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: