Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Propagate Cordyline Electric Pink from cuttings

Old 04-30-21, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So I have a couple of good size Cordyline Electric Pink.. I was gonna purchase a smaller one for another part of my garden - 5 gallon ideally. My local wholesale nursery only had 15gal, and they were around $75 USD. Considering it's on the side of my house and not a major focal point, I'd like to save some money - try to grow from a cutting of a mature plant.. I see several shooters/suckers near the base of the plant that are attached to the stem - see attached images.

Any guidance on attempting this? Which of these shooters would be best - smaller or larger. I did see some info on the web for propagating New Zealand Flax - so maybe similar. Eventually I'm planning to plant the cordyline against a fence - it'll get good sun from mid-morning to mid-afternoon

I'm located in Zone: 10a (According to the new 2012 map) - Coastal San Diego area

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Old 04-30-21, 09:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
If you search for "how to propagate cordyline" several websites and YouTube videos already exist telling/showing how to propagate cordyline.
https://tropiscape.com/how-to-propag...v=9c587eccb9ce
https://soeasilydistracted.com/backy...from-cuttings/

In Costa Rica all I'd do is whack off one of the "suckers" and stick it in the ground. Mother Nature would do the rest.

Old 04-30-21, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ah nice - thanks Pilot Dane.. Good to know if it is that easy to propagate these guys.. I have a ton of Agave Attenuata and have basically become a mini farm for friends and family. All of the little Agave pups end up being given away and these things are indestructible

BTW - I did some web searches but kept coming up with stuff for Indoor Cordyline plants which are different I think? So I looked at the New Zealand Flax which seem kinda similar . Anyhow - thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: