Albizia julibrissen (silktree, mimosa)

Old 06-25-01, 06:43 AM
texastrees
Visiting Guest
How do you propogate a mimosa tree? Can you take a cutting from a branch, or do you have to have root material?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-01, 04:12 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Texastrees,

I don't know why, but Mimosas are on that list--hard to propagate by cuttings. I'm not sure I'd dig a piece of root up to try it. You can start them from seeds. I know some who have had success in doing that. Some complain about all the seedlings, so I'd say that's the best way to go.

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b641-w.html

Gami

Old 07-05-01, 08:30 PM
Mimosa propagation

Mimosas are considered to be quite invasive. I'm surprised you don't already have some babies. I have read that mimosa is best propagated from seed in March in sandy soil or equal parts sand and compost. Thus, if seeds are the secret to their invasiveness, then you need to try seeds. My father hated mimosa because it was invasive, but I still love to see them in bloom. They remind me of him, even though he disliked them.

Old 07-06-01, 09:38 AM
texastrees
Visiting Guest
Thanks Twelvepole. I know that everytime I see a Mimosa, I can see myself and my sister as children hanging upside-down from the best climbing tree we ever had. I guess the mimosa wilt problem of northeast Texas is not as bad towards the coast. I'll just try to propogate by seeding.