HELP! Ornamental Plum tree

Old 06-25-01, 09:50 PM
Libop
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an ornamental plum tree that is a couple of yrs old. I noticed the other day that something is happening to the leaves. They look like lace and you can literally see thru them! When you touch them they are brittle and crumble in your hand. I searched for some type of insect on it and I could not find anything at all on the leaves. I used a spray for insects and shrubs, bushes and roses but I need to know if there is anything else I can do! Thanks in advance!
Libby

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-01, 11:40 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Libby,

I hate to answer this, because I really don't know, but you definitely have some kind of insect problem.

You might call your county agent and explain the damage, or go to your nursery and talk to them about it. They are very knowledgeable about insects in your area and the damage that they can cause.

Sorry I couldn't be of further help.

Gami

Old 07-05-01, 08:13 PM
Insect damage on ornamental plum

Thank goodness I don't have an ornamental fruit tree at my present home. They are Japanese beetle bait. Ornamental fruit trees require regular spraying with insecticide throughout the growing season to keep leaf munching insects at bay. You can call your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for free advice re: your problem. You will get info re: a spraying schedule to keep the problem under control. Most lawn services also offer tree/shrub spraying to keep insect damage under control.

Old 07-05-01, 08:23 PM
Insect pests on ornamental plum

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that insects never seem to be around when you are looking for them. And, we think they don't have a brain?

Old 07-05-01, 09:44 PM
Libop
Visiting Guest
Plum tree

Hi! Thanks for the responses but as it turns out, it appears to be a fungus from all the Midwest rains we have had. I treated with a multi functioning fungicide and it appears to be on the mend! I have had this tree out a few years and I have yet to have a problem with Japanese Beetles so I must be doing something right!