Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

What time of year to cut down a tree (nothing urgent)?

Old 03-24-22, 05:28 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Is it better to have a tree cut down in the winter, when ground is frozen, vs. some other time of year when the truck/big planks they lay down might compress the lawn?

There's no urgency to remove this tree so I can have it done whenever.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-22, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,711 Upvotes on 1,535 Posts
Winter is best from the standpoint of not tearing up the lawn or leaving ruts.

Old 03-25-22, 04:22 AM
H
Received 277 Upvotes on 237 Posts
I worked for a friend's tree cutting crew high school, college, & post college summers...
First question - cut down or trimmed? If you want to keep any part of the tree, winter is best when the sap isn't running.
Second question - are you keeping the wood chips from the tree removal? If so, then mid winter (ground is frozen & hard) or mid summer (ground is dry & hard) is best to avoid ruts in areas of the lawn.

I some situations where we had pine trees (which shade out the vegetation below them and create a bare spot with no grass & no shrubs) we also ground out the stump, we'd lay out a rectangle of landscaping 4x4s and roto-till the woodchips in with the stump grindings to create a quick 'wood chip patio' where the tree had been-

Old 03-25-22, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,764 Upvotes on 1,577 Posts
Doing it in winter can also mean no leaves on the tree which makes it easier to work and less to dispose of.

Old 03-25-22, 05:55 AM
H
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
makes it easier to work
Well, sometimes. If you're dropping a tree in a confined space, in-town rowhouse or twin, small suburban backyard, having leaves can be beneficial, you can cut & flick the branches and the leaves cause them to act like a giant "lawn dart" which you can aim into a pile from up in the tree.
In winter without the leaves, the branches tumble and if it's a tough springy wood, e.g. pin oak, you have to worry about the branches landing tip-first, because then they will sort-of "spring" and then bounce & launch themselves 15-20 feet in random directions (but somehow ALWAYS towards something breakable- house windows, favorite garden gnome, bird bath..)

Old 03-25-22, 06:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
There was a tree near our deck that my wife wanted gone. I put a rope on it to make sure it didn't hit the deck with the other end tied to my jeep. My wife tugged at with the jeep while I cut it down. Never even thought about her concrete rabbit on the retaining wall. A fork in the tree split the difference with no damage to the rabbit - sometimes you just get lucky!

Old 03-25-22, 06:22 AM
H
And sometimes it's not "luck".
We once had a job in Norriton, suburban area just outside Norristown Pa, which along with Scranton, was mostly the destination for Sicilian immigrants. (South Philly was mostly mainland Italian.)
We show up and the 60ish owner has a full garden that we have to work around when removing the tree.
Apparently an adult daughter was breeding Peruvian chickens- very showy plumage. As soon as we walk out, the hens skitter away, but the full-bits rooster runs over, starts pecking at our boots, and the owner's feet, whereupon the homeowner drop-kicks the aggressive chicken across the yard. "Oh, yeah, watch out for that little %!@%!$#, he's a real PITA."

We start setting up, getting ropes into the tree, and the homeowner walks over "Ya know, if something were to happen to that rooster, accidentally, I'd make it worth your while."

We both turned and looked at each other "Um, did that sweet old Sicilian senior citizen just put a hit on a chicken?"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: