When are melons ripe?

Old 07-03-01, 08:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I've planted melons this year for the first time, and they're meloning!

Does anyone know how to tell when they are ripe? They are a small variety, picture on the package looks like it's about 5" across. Some are getting to be about the right size, and it's so tempting, but I don't want to pick them too early.

It's funny - I can tell at the farmer's market (I sniff the stem scar), but I have no idea when it's on the plant! These don't have the typical cantaloupy skin; they're smooth, very pale green with darker green stripes, but I think they're supposed to have orange flesh.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-01, 08:39 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Cool Ripe Melons - Yum!

Hi Leu,

If you don't mind, I'll let you read about it. We've got company coming, and I shouldn't be on here at all.

This is a good article and says it better than I ever could. We had some fabulous melon from the market the other day, I know what you mean.

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/yard/1998/070698.html

Gami

Old 07-03-01, 08:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the link! It did tell me what to look for. Mine aren't ready yet. I can hardly wait!

Old 07-04-01, 05:10 PM
leu,
Watermelons are difficult to judge ripeness. However,if you've got a cantalope, you'll know the day they are ripe when you walk in the garden. If you are a bit anxious, just pick a couple up slightly. If they fall off the vine, you are in business.
fred

Old 07-05-01, 07:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks!!!

They say patience is a virtue... It'll be so worth it!