Problem with Iris

Old 07-06-01, 01:23 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
There is a yellowish gooey stuff at the base of and between some the leaves. Some of the rizomes are soft and seem to have a been attacked internally as well. Some of the leaves are turning brown, but not in the normal way. That was my first alert that something was happening. What is happening and what can I do to save them? Perhaps mulch is to close, too much moisture??? Help will be appreciated very much! While waiting for a reply, I will check the internet for answers...

Old 07-06-01, 01:55 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi M,

It's called soft rot. This is from the site below.

"It is a common problem of damaged iris rhizomes. Soft rot enters the rhizome through any wound, including feeding damage from iris borers. If soft rot is a problem, dig up the rhizome, scrape out the affected tissue, allow it to dry in the sun, then dip in a 10-12% solution of household bleach for a few minutes. Rinse with water and allow to dry before replanting."

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/iris.html

It can also be caused from growing in a heavy soil without enough drainage and can spread to other irses. It's best to take care of it when you first see it. If most of the rhizome is soft, throw them away.

Gami

Old 07-06-01, 03:37 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Problem with Iris

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Old 09-01-01, 05:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I would like plans or information on how to build a solor hearter for an 18ft, round, above ground, swimming pool. Pool has a 1hp pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: