need to know..............

Old 07-08-01, 05:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Good Morning to all who read this. I am new to this site and hope someone can point me in a few good directions.

I started work at an executive golf course and am in charge of all aspects of planting and maintaining flowers. This is quite a task for me as I am no expert on flowers, infact my experience is limited to home gardening.

I recently spent a bundle of money for annuals and and realized how much money I could save in the long run if I could have grown these flowers myself from seed. I know the intial investment for some type of greenhouse and the materials I would need to start flowers from seed would be more than what I just spent but in the long run I feel it may pay off. Before I present my "grand plan" to my superintendant, I want to be armed with the right information and know what I am talking about.......not just wasting his time.

Would anyone know about or know a site or a person who I could talk to where I can find out the following information.......how to grow flowers from seed.....on a big scale...(500-800 plants a season...I personally consider this "big", others may not!!) what I need to do, what kind of planting material do I use, where I can buy the seeds, plastic containers, what kind of watering system I would need, how I could I build a really simple yet effective greenhouse? And anything else I need to know to make this work!

Thanks in advance to all who can point me in the right direction!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-01, 07:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have an exciting project ahead of you.

I'm sure others can post specific advice, but if it were me, I'd go to a good bookstore and buy a VERY nice book on the subject. Since it's your job, you probably want a good one, not just a basic one, so that you can look up problems later. I'm sure there are a number of books on greenhouse management, which is essentially what you're talking about. Maybe even someone on this forum can suggest a good book.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-01, 09:16 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Beachmom,

That was a tall order, and not being familiar with greenhouses, I hesitated to answer. But since Leu has started us out, if it were me, I would try and find someone in the area that has a BIG greenhouse just for their use. Almost ALL gardeners are very happy to share their experiences and explain what works for them. They would be able to help you with most of your questions, and also some of the mistakes they made. There would be things to consider like insects, diseases, ventilation, etc.

Good luck!

Gami

Old 07-10-01, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for your replies! I will look into getting a book about greenhouse gardening. That does make a lot of sense. And I really want to ask the people who I buy my annuals from about what they do but I am nervous as this is their business and I don't want to offend them.
I will keep you updated!