Moles, Moles, Moles...

Old 07-09-01, 10:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I getting just as PO'd as Bill Murray in Caddyshack! Nice plantings in the front, also not-so-nice moles who seem to enjoy nothing better than rearing their ugly little heads in the most inopportune places. The cat tries (and often brings back gifts) but the moles are remain undefeated...

Question: what is the most effective anti-mole product out there? I've been considering the sonic stakes that take a few D (C?) batteries and are placed into the ground but do not know how well they work.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-01, 10:36 PM
Smile A simple fix for moles.

Hi ymb9

The moles are going after grubs so as you see they are doing you a favor. But you want to get rid of the moles and that's easy deprive them of their food, and they will leave for the next yard. Use a product called Milky Spore Disease. This Organic, safe product will treat your yard and lasts for about 10 years. So factor that into the expense. It works great and will cut down on your beatle problems also. You can find it at large garden supplies or on web sites dealing with Organic products. Good Hunting, Maturo

Old 07-11-01, 07:54 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Maturo,

The moles here are doing me too much of a favor. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling weeds and mulching an area with new shrubs. There were tunnels all over and one shrub was definitely suffering from something. I worked up the dirt around it, making sure there were no air pockets from the tunnels and when I watered the soil sunk and left a big hole. I filled it up and watered again.

I wish there was something that wouldn't kill the earthworms also. I could have set up a bait stand with all the worms in there.

One of my friends has a Manx cat that goes after moles. Our 3 leave them alone.

Gami

Old 07-11-01, 09:42 AM
Smile Earthworms our tunnel diggers.

Hi Gami

Have no fear Milky Spore dosen't have a negetive affect on earth worms. Milky Spore is like Dipel it is a selective natural pesticide that targets only one pest at a time. I know a lot of people go down to the local Feed and seed and buy 50# of Diazanon and apply twice a season. Diazanon kills everything and it's cheap because it is a waste product of industry. On the other hand milky spore has to be cultured under labatory conditons. You know the more Organic products I use the more I notice that in the long run they last longer and you end up paying less. Please forgive me for pointing out the benifits that moles give us. It all started a long time ago when I just didn't think that this plant should have a name and these plants are just called weeds. Ticks bite our dogs and us in there first stage and after they lay their eggs they become one of the gardeners best predator friends. I have been learning about wild herbs and mushrooms for over three decades and know them by their Latin names so that when I am talking to someone in mexico we both know the same plant. So forgive me if from time to time I point out the good that weed or bug does for us as care takers of the earth. My best of friends are gardeners there's just something down to earth about them. Back in 1970 Organic Growers had very few tools to help them in their fight with insects. Today the Growers and Gardeners have so many products that everyone can enjoy eating Organic food at a % of what health food stores want for two week old shipped in vegies. There is a common thread that binds us as gardeners. This is a good site where we can help each other learn about growing our own food and flowers and if we are very lucky we get to see the way we fit into the natural world. I don't have a mole problem now but before they were so bad they would get into the storage cellar and gnaw on out food supplies. I have a question for the group. I like to grow different mints as a hobby. I have come accross a royal purple mint it is an annual with only seeds to reproduce the next year. It has a very light purple flower spike and smells like a weak peppermint. It's habit is likr Korean liqurice mint. If you can put a name to this mint please let me know. Thanks Marturo

Old 07-11-01, 10:09 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Maturo,

Well thanks for all that, and I agree about having gardeners as friends. There is a gentleness there. We get tickled about the least little things, the first bud, the first rose, etc.

I'll look for Milky Spore. I don't like Diazanon either, or any chemicals for that matter, but sometimes there is no other way out.

Bagworms ate half of a 3 yr. old blue spruce before I noticed. I HAD to resort to Orthene so I could get rid of them fast. The tree was finally growing leaps and bounds and looked so beautiful. I cringe when I have to resort to chemicals. I haven't wanted to go that route for moles, just so I wouldn't harm the earthworms.

I'll see if I can find some info on your mint later. It sounds interesting. I've got to bowl.

Thanks again,

Gami

Old 07-12-01, 07:19 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Maturo,

I tried to find something on your mint with no luck. There aren't that many annual mints and what I found didn't fit your description. It must be extremely rare??? Here I'm trying to get rid of it, and you're trying to grow different varieties. You must be containing it???

Oh, I forgot to mention--don't worry about your previous comments. No need to apologize. I guess I feel like the moles were here first, or I'd be declaring war. The only time they bother me is when I see plants suffering because of them. Well, also the bumpy ride mowing. We are all entitled to speak our minds. That's how we learn. It's worth the time to learn about the good and bad insects, as well as animals. It looks like there is new growth on that shrub already--as well as the spruce the bagworms were after. A little rain does wonders!

Gami

Old 07-12-01, 11:16 PM
Smile Moles & Mint

Hi Gami

Thanks for checking on the purple mint I thought after the first time I saw it that it was going to be hard to find. Perhaps a lot of gardeners don't realy know the multitude of Organic pest control alternitives there are today. You mentioned caterpilar problems before. Spray with Malithion and you kill the worm and the baby robin that gets fed the dead worm. Spray with Dipel and you kill most leaf eating worms and it never has any ill effects on the baby robins. Slug traps filled with cheap beer kill hundreds of slugs and dosen't kill the earthworms or the good soil bactieria. I guess that from the begining of my growing experince it has been my atempt to feed the soil and bring more life into the garden. As long as we keep an open mind to the safer forms of pest control, growers can heal the earth one garden at a time. Marturo

Old 07-13-01, 05:35 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Marturo,

Sorry, I've been spelling your name wrong. Thanks for letting us know about the organic methods of getting rid of pests.

I didn't think I had a big slug problem, but discovered I was wrong while weeding last night. I recently heard that self-rising flour works. They eat it and get all bloated. I'm going to try that today and will let everyone know if it works. That would be a cheap alternative to chemicals also.

Maybe not the best, but a good book on insects is the "National Audubon Society's Field Guide to Insects & Spiders". The grandkids (and I) have had a great time learning about the good and bad insects. The larvae of the lady bug looks scary. I was guilty of killing it until I found out what it was. It's very beneficial in the garden.

http://entweb.clemson.edu/cuentres/c...fici/ce175.htm

Gami

Old 07-20-01, 12:05 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi All,

Well...I finally broke down and bought a Victor Mole Trap. I'll let you know if it works.

I put in a new flowerbed last night, and a mole had the nerve to scurry right along the whole front edge of it.

BTW, I've heard they move around 2:30 p.m. Has anyone else heard that. It's 2:00 now!

Gami

Old 07-21-01, 05:55 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No Mole!

Hi All,

Well, I checked last night about 11:00 p.m. The trap was still set. It was sprung this morning, but I didn't get the mole. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't seem like it goes down far enough. It looks like he went right around the trap. The trap also appears to be very sensitive, and I'm wondering if it could go off when the moles gets close to it and pushes the ground up in front of it???

Gami

Old 08-04-01, 09:32 AM
Visiting Guest
sonic stakes...do they work?

We also have a large population of moles... tunneling under the lawn, the garden, paths in the forest.... everywhere. We also have considered using the sonic stakes, but at $40 or more, it would be nice to know if they work before buying them.

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-04-01, 12:34 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Blondekj,

I've been asking around since the Victor Mole trap hasn't worked for us. Nobody has recommended those sonic stakes, and I've never heard anyone say whether they work or not. Can't you use any kind of whirlygig "toy"? Just asking.

Here's the latest recommendations from people who say these do work -

The Victor Mole trap is supposed to be effective if you place two in a tunnel in separate directions since you don't know which way the mole enters the tunnel.

Two other people recommended the No-Mol Trap (also good for voles), and the Easy Set Mole Eliminator Trap. Both can be ordered from this site -

http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp

I'm ordering the No-Mol traps. They are $19.95 for 4.

Gami