Black Spots On Peony Leaves

Old 07-06-01, 02:43 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Question

What is causing the spots and what should I do? Thank you!

Old 07-09-01, 08:14 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi M,

I know you got an answer (somewhere) , but just for referral, this site mentions a lot of diseases that peonies can get -

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG1153.html

BTW, I've never noticed this advertisement about contractors at the bottom of a post before. Has anybody else? Maybe I've just been blind?!

Gami

Old 07-09-01, 08:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gami,
I've seen the contractor posts once or twice, but not after every post in every forum I've looked at tonight.
Maybe if we ignore them they'll go away.
fred

Old 07-10-01, 05:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gami,
Well, I couldn't ignore those posts, so I e-mailed brandon
to find out what is going on.
fred

Old 07-10-01, 07:30 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Nuisances!!!

Thanks Fred! It certainly is annoying when someone does that! I wonder how they managed that? No, I don't really want to know!

Gami

Old 07-10-01, 04:41 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Black Spots On Peony Leaves

Thanks, Gami, for the site. The pictures help! I identified the problem as a virus, not fungus. I may move it to a "lone spot" and watch it. I don't want the others to be infected by it.

Old 07-10-01, 07:17 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi M,

You're welcome! Funny thing is, I only have one peony in my garden, but I have two that I bought last fall and they are still in pots. I haven't decided where to plant them. The one in the ground has the same thing going on as yours, but the ones in pots are absolutely healthy??? I don't think I'll plant them in the same spot.

Gami

Old 07-15-01, 07:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

My wife planted a peony last year and it developed black spots. This year the black spots are gone and the plant looks healthy but, still no blooms. Is this normal?

Old 07-15-01, 09:20 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi DUSTYSKYS,

That depends on where you are, but if you are anywhere in the States, I would say that is abnormal. They are one of the first things to bloom in the spring, normally.

Several things contribute to peonies not blooming. The main things are not enough sun or not planted at the right depth. They should have full sun, or at least 6 hours, or dappled shade in late afternoon. The soil may also be too acidic.

Check this site out. It goes into more detail and has a drawing of what depth they should be planted.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1170.htm

Gami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: